This education, 5-12 degree is geared to teaching the pedagogy (art/science/profession) of middle and high school education and not specific subject content knowledge.
- Acquire the knowledge, skills, and dispositions needed to meet the educational challenges of the middle school pedagogy
- Learn the art and science of teaching students at the middle and secondary levels
Earn your master's degree in as little as two and a half years, with flexible online and hybrid classes. Learn more about our M.Ed. In Education 5-12.
The non-licensure concentration in the M.Ed. in education program is designed for teachers who already hold licensure, or who do not need to earn their initial license in one of the four content areas available at Fitchburg State University, but who are interested in learning the art and science of teaching students at the middle and secondary levels.
Candidates do not complete the special methods courses in the content areas, the Sheltered English Immersion (SEI) course, or the practicum, which are required for all licensure candidates. Instead of those courses, candidates are able to choose electives that will help them address their particular pedagogical and professional goals. However, candidates for the non-licensure concentration will still learn pedagogy that adheres to the four Professional Standards for Teachers:
- Curriculum, Planning, and Assessment standard: Promotes the learning and growth of all students by providing high quality and coherent instruction, designing and administering authentic and meaningful student assessments, analyzing student performance and growth data, using this data to improve instruction, providing students with constructive feedback on an on-going basis, and continuously refining learning objectives.
- Teaching All Students standard: Promotes the learning and growth of all students through instructional practices that establish high expectations, create a safe and effective classroom environment, and demonstrate cultural proficiency.
- Family and Community Engagement standard: Promotes the learning and growth of all students through effective partnerships with families, caregivers, community members, and organizations.
- Professional Culture standard: Promotes the learning and growth of all students through ethical, culturally proficient, skilled, and collaborative practice.
While you can complete the program in as few as 2.5 years, you have 6 years to complete the program.
Degrees and Other Information
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling admission basis. Admissions requirements are as follows:
- Official transcript of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level course work from a regionally accredited institution, if applicable
- Graduate application and fee
- An essay, no more than one page in length, in response to one of the following questions:
- Tell us about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
- What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
- Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping mode.
- Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
- What did you do in that particular situation?
- How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
- How do you feel about the situation now?
- What would you change, if anything?
Still have questions? We're here to help!
We know you're busy, so we've given you a few different options to conveniently get the answers you need. You can…