Your future on your terms. Find yours with one of our 40+ masters and certificate programs. With flexible offerings you can pursue your education on campus or online.
Our dedicated and innovative faculty is committed to your success, and they'll prepare you to make a difference.
The FALL 2023 application deadline has passed for the on campus M.S. in Computer Science program. Future application terms will be made available by July 1, 2023. We are not currently accepting applications for the on campus M.S. in Computer Science program at this time.
Want to Know More?
We have many different online and in person information sessions and open houses so everyone has an opportunity to learn more about our programs.
See what we have coming up in the near future for webinars, or access our archive of past recordings.
Learn more about next steps to take to prepare yourself for the upcoming enrollment term.
Requirements for Graduate Admissions
You must have received a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution in the U.S. or have completed the equivalent of a U.S. Bachelor’s degree university-level degree program.
We ask that you submit the following credentials in addition to the individual program requirements found within each graduate program page:
- Graduate application and $50 fee
- Official transcript of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Three letters of recommendation (excludes online accelerated programs)
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level coursework from a regionally accredited institution (if applicable)
- Online programs, with the exception of online accelerated programs, require a GPA of 2.8
Note that every program has individual requirements in addition to these general guidelines. Refer to the program page you’re interested in to review specific requirements.
If you're an international applicant and/or you completed a degree outside of the United States, you will be required to complete a transcript credential evaluation. You may also need to demonstrate English language proficiency by submitting an English language test. For the most up-to-date information on application requirements and deadlines, please visit International Admissions.
We believe in more than test scores
We don't require graduate testing for any of our programs. However, if you are seeking initial licensure through a master’s, CAGS or graduate certificate you are required to pass the MTEL Communication and Literacy Test.
- Massachusetts Test for Educator Licensure (MTEL)
- TOEFL (International Students only)
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
School of Graduate, Online and Continuing Education Deferral Policy
An admitted student may request a deferment of their enrollment for up to one calendar year beyond the term for which they were originally admitted. If the student exceeds this time period, they must reapply and submit a new application fee. Deferrals must be requested by the end of the semester (last day of classes) for which the student was originally admitted, as long as space permits in the program*. To request a deferral, please log in to fill out the term roll form.
*F1 visa seeking international students must request a deferral by the application submission deadline of the term they're requesting a deferment into or by the end of the semester (last day of classes) for which they were originally offered admission, whichever comes first (see below). For the most up-to-date deadlines, please visit International Admissions.
- If you were admitted for Fall 2023 and would like to defer to Spring 2024, you must request a deferral by the November 1 application deadline.
- If you were admitted for Spring 2023 and would like to defer to Fall 2023, you must request a deferral by the last day of the Spring 2023 semester (May 1)
- If you were admitted for Fall 2023 and would like to defer to Fall 2024, you must request a deferral by the last day of the Fall 2023 semester (date TBD)
MTEL test scores do not expire. TOEFL and IELTS scores are good for up to 2 years from date of exam.
- TOEFL PBT (paper-based) 550
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based) 79
- IELTS graduate - 6.5
- Duolingo graduate - 105
- PTE Academic (Pearson Test of English) graduate - 58
The TOEFL code for Fitchburg State University is 3518.
Preparing for your graduate testing is an important part of the admissions process.
- MTEL -- Practice Test
The Office of Admissions requires that you send in the original copy of your graduate exam scores directly from the test provider. We do not accept electronically scanned test score reports via email.
The admissions office keeps admissions materials for up to three years.
It's amazing to actually apply what you're doing in school to what you're doing right now, and know I'll be able to use it later.