To help with the transfer process we’ve included an overview of requirements below.
You may bring 90 credits from regionally accredited four-year institutions and 75 credits from regionally accredited two-year schools.
We do require that transfer students complete at least 50 percent of the coursework in their major at Fitchburg State, as well as one-quarter of your overall undergraduate credits.
Fitchburg State University values the education that you have completed prior to enrolling with us. As a result, the number of General Education courses that you will need to complete at Fitchburg State will be determined by the number of transfer credits accepted. For more information about General Education for transfer students see below.
If you have questions about whether or not you meet the requirements to apply, please feel free to contact a transfer counselor at 978.665.3144 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Requirements and Other Information
- 12-23 transferable* college level credits and a minimum 2.5 college GPA; or
- Up to 23 transferable* college level credits, a minimum 2.0 college GPA and must also meet the admissions standards for freshman applicants; or
- 24 or more transferable* college level credits and a minimum 2.0 college GPA
*courses with grades below a C- or any remedial coursework are not included in this total
- Application (MassTransfer applicants should use our application)
- Final High School Transcript (sent directly from your high school but not required if you have earned an Associates Degree or higher)
- Official College Transcripts sent directly from each institution where you enrolled in a course
- Letter of recommendation (optional)*
- Essay (optional)*
- Students who are not US citizens or Permanent Residents should view our International Student Requirements
*Please note that our LPN to BS in Nursing program does require an essay and 3 letters of recommendation.
November 1 for Game Design
December 1 for all other programs
- February 1 - LPN to BSN
- March 1 - FAFSA and merit scholarship consideration
- June 1 - On campus housing
- August 1 - Commuter students
*Applications received after these priority deadlines will still be accepted, but on a space available basis.
Your courses count at Fitchburg State!
We honor the coursework you’ve done at previous colleges by transferring in as many college level courses with grades of C- or higher as possible.
- We can accept 75 credits from regionally accredited two-year schools or credit granted for college-level examinations (CLEP), the military, and/or advanced placement courses*.
- The maximum increases to 90 credits for regionally accredited 4 year institutions.
- Courses taken a long time ago? No problem! There is no time limit for accepting transfer credits.
- Looking for how a Massachusetts state community college or state university course transfers in? Transfer Equivalencies from Massachusetts Community Colleges and State Universities
Our policy is to bring in the maximum number of credits. However, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits and 50 percent of their major at Fitchburg State University.
*Credit can be granted for Advanced Placement (AP) examination with a score of 3 or higher. Credit can be granted for College Level Examination Program (CLEP) with a score of 50 or higher. Criminal Justice majors can earn no more than 12 credits through examination
If you attend a Massachusetts community college or state university, then it is easier for you to transfer your credits.
For more details on this program you can visit the MassTransfer website, but we recommend using the online Fitchburg State application if you choose to apply to our campus. You can also find a detailed list of approved MassTransfer linked programs. Only students in linked programs are eligible to apply as MassTransfer.
Transfer Virtual Events are an opportunity to meet virtually with a transfer admissions representative and learn more about the transfer process, how to apply and what our transfer requirements are. You will learn about our programs and how your credits transfer to our university. See below for specific times and dates and how to register for these events.
Virtual one on one appointments - 1 p.m. - 4 p.m. (30 min block)
On Tuesdays and are open to any transfer student, however you do need to register:
Register for a one-on-one session here
In person one on one appointments - please contact 978.665.3144 or email@example.com to schedule an in person one on one appointment.
Looking for more ways to visit campus, see all our visit options.
Fitchburg State University values the education that you have completed prior to enrolling with us. As a result, the number of General Education courses that you will need to complete at Fitchburg State will be determined by the number of transfer credits accepted. The university has a tiered approach to General Education requirements for transfer students:
- 1-29 credits
Students must meet all General Education requirements, however… Students transferring in a First Year Experience (FYE) course will complete the 0 credit Transfer Student Experience course instead of the regular FYE course.
- 30-59 credits
Students will take 0 credit Transfer Student Experience course and must complete all other Foundation courses not transferred in. Students must complete 18 credits of Exploration coursework and 9 credits of Integrating and Applying requirements.
- 60 or more credits
Students must complete all Foundation courses other than First Year Experience as well as 9 credits of Exploration coursework and a 3 credit Integrative High Impact Practice.
- Associate’s degree or 90 credits
If students transfer in at least 34 credits of general education-quality courses (general courses that satisfy the breadth of the General Education), their General Education requirements are considered fulfilled.
- Bachelor’s degree
General Education requirements are considered fulfilled.
Learn more about our General Education Program.