We're a public institution located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, dedicated to integrating high-quality professional programs with strong liberal arts and sciences studies.
Founded in 1894, we now have more than 30 undergraduate programs and 22 master's degree programs, and 7,000 full and part-time students.
Get to Know Us
Safety and Storytelling
Policies and Plans
Fitchburg State University is committed to excellence in teaching and learning and blends liberal arts and sciences and professional programs within a small college environment. Our comprehensive public university prepares students to lead, serve, and succeed by fostering lifelong learning and civic and global responsibility. A Fitchburg State education extends beyond our classrooms to include residential, professional, and co-curricular opportunities. As a community resource, we provide leadership and support for the economic, environmental, social, and cultural needs of North Central Massachusetts and the Commonwealth.
Fitchburg State University will be nationally recognized for its excellence in teaching and learning in current and emergent fields, for its commitment to transforming lives through education, and for its dedication to public service.
In order to achieve this, we will:
- Prepare students for a global society through curricular innovation and program development
- Achieve academic excellence by investing in our faculty and librarians in their pursuit of knowledge, professional competency, and scholarship
- Employ innovative uses of technology in the library and across our campus to maximize student learning
- Create a culture of diversity to meet the needs of the region and enhance the personal and academic lives of the university community
- Build partnerships within our community to provide real-world opportunities for our students and collaborative solutions to community issues.
Offering equitable access to high-quality programs and services to people of varying cultural backgrounds living within and beyond our diverse community of North Central Massachusetts
Providing opportunities for students of varying socioeconomic backgrounds to pursue an affordable, quality education
Forging partnerships with businesses and community organizations within the region to enhance quality of life
Sustaining a supportive campus environment for students, faculty, staff, and alumni in which all members can grow and excel in their personal and professional lives
Striving for excellence in academic programs and services through innovative teaching and professional practices