Advance your career in behavior analysis by completing this certificate and preparing for the exam to become a Board Certified Behavior Analyst.
The Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate provides the specialized coursework needed for individuals interested in taking the exam to become Board Certified Behavior Analysts (BCBAs) through the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB).
Please refer to the BACB's Pass Rate Data for Verified Course Sequences (PDF). Note that pass rate data are not published for sequences with fewer than six first-time candidates in a single year or for sequences within their first four years of operation.
The seven course certificate program is designed to meet coursework eligibility requirements required for the Behavior Analysis Certification exam. Our carefully planned course sequence prepares individuals to work with children and adults with Autism Spectrum Disorders and other disabilities through the understanding of behavioral analysis and other factors that often contribute to student success.
Most graduate students enrolled in a Fitchburg State Special Education teaching license program will be able to apply two courses to a master’s degree, while students in the non-licensure Special Education Guided Studies, Individualized Concentration could count up to six courses toward their degree.
One of the following must apply:
- Submit proof of master's degree in education, behavioral analysis or psychology from a fully accredited institute of higher education
- Be matriculated in a Fitchburg State master of education in special education degree program
- Concurrently submit a full application to a Fitchburg State master of education in special education degree program
Students must be accepted into the Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate program prior to enrolling in any courses beyond SPED 8013 and SPED 8028.
Read the program chair's blog post to learn about your career opportunities and some advice for prospective students.
The Fitchburg State Applied Behavior Analysis Certificate program has a strong grounding in special education. Candidates may enroll concurrently in a M.Ed. in Special Education and can apply a minimum of two courses or as many as all six BCBA courses toward their graduate degree.
Behavior Analyst Certification Board
Once an individual has completed the required coursework and supervised field work and has passed the national BACB examination, there are countless career opportunities available as a Board Certified Behavior Analyst, BCBA in public school settings, or in private practice.
While you can complete the program in as little as one year, you have six years to complete the program.
The time and effort that the professors put into making sure that students in the BCBA program were prepared to not only pass the boards, but also to utilize the skills needed to be successful in the field, was important to me. It felt like they truly cared about us and viewed us as more than just students, but instead as future colleagues.
Curriculum and Other Information
ABA Certificate Program:
Students will acquire the content knowledge necessary to sit for the exam to become Board Certified Behavior Analysts, and to be successful as BCBAs.
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling admission basis. Admissions requirements are as follows:
- An official transcript of a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- An official transcript of a master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or matriculation into a Fitchburg State master of education in special education degree program
- Professional Resume
- Three letters of recommendation
- A personal statement (maximum 300 words). The statement should describe your goals and reasons for applying to this program and should include information about previous coursework, training or work experience related to the program.
- Graduate application and fee
Still have questions? We're here to help!
We know you're busy, so we've given you a few different options to conveniently get the answers you need. You can…