Our health professions advising program will help guide you on your path to a career in dental medicine.
Provisionally accepted applicants will be required to take certain courses and a specified course load:
- 6 Semester Credit Hours of English; composition emphasizing technical language
- 8 Semester Credit Hours of Biology including two labs
- 8 Semester Credit Hours of Inorganic/General Chemistry including two labs
- 8 Semester Credit Hours of Organic Chemistry including two labs
- 3 Semester Credit Hours of Biochemistry
LECOM does not require but strongly recommends the following courses be taken prior to matriculation. Note that many of these courses are required as part of the B.S. biology degree at Fitchburg State.
- 4 Semester Credit Hours of Physiology
- 4 Semester Credit Hours of Physics including lab
- 4 Semester Credit Hours of Anatomy including lab
- 4 Semester Credit Hours of Microbiology including lab
- 3 Semester Credit Hours of Cell Biology
- 3 Semester Credit Hours of Histology
- 3 Semester Credit Hours of Immunology
- 3 Semester Credit Hours of Genetics
- No grade lower than “C” will be accepted (C- not accepted); credit for Pass/Fail courses will not be accepted; CLEP may not be used to satisfy any of the minimum requirements.
- LECOM may accept AP credits if the student scores a four (4) or five (5) on the AP exam. When AP credits are accepted by LECOM, a replacement course applicable to the field of dental medicine or a course of similar academic rigor must be taken.
- The School of Dentistry recommends applicants to spend 100 hours job shadowing in a clinical dental setting.
- An overall GPA of 3.0 must be maintained, as well as 3.0 science GPA. Final requirements are an overall GPA of 3.4, and science GPA of 3.2 or better.
- Dental Admission Test (DAT) must be taken by December 1 of the year prior to LECOM matriculation. The American Dental Education Association’s policy states that the DAT may only be taken once every 90 days. Minimum scores in the 50th percentile are required for the various sections of DAT.
- The year prior to their LECOM matriculation, students enrolled in the Dental EAP must attend the affiliated student on-campus day in Bradenton. Failure to attend the on-campus day event will result in the loss of the reserved seat.
- Once earned, you may enter the D.M.D degree program at the LECOM campus in Bradenton, Florida.
EAP Doctor of Dental Medicine (D.M.D.) Program Advisor: Dr. Ron Krieser
Antonucci Science Complex, Room 338