Chemistry is one of the fields in the forefront of the current technology revolution and, as such, it plays a crucial role in solving many of the problems faced by today’s society.
Chemists work in all facets of life including the development of new drugs for treatment of diseases such as cancer, AIDS, and heart diseases; the creation of better methods for the production of food, clothing and shelter; and the discovery of environment-friendly energy sources. They also work on solving problems such as acid rain, ozone depletion and climate change.
Chemistry occupies the third floor of the laboratory wing of the new Antonucci Science Complex.
The laboratories include:
- General Chemistry Teaching Lab (308)
- Organic Chemistry Lab (304)
- Chemistry for the Health Sciences Lab (303)
- Instrumentation Lab (306)
- NMR Lab (302)
- Faculty/Student Research Labs (307 and 309)
- Laptop computers with the following software: Spartan, Stella, and Data Studio.
Instrumentation includes the following:
- Anasazi FT-NMR Spectrophotometer with 2D-NMR capabilities
- Agilent Gas Chromatograph – Mass Spectrometer with MS-MS capabilities
- Buck Scientific Gas Chromatographs (4)
- Perkin-Elmer Spectrum 65 FT-IR Spectrophotometer
- Agilent High Performance Liquid Chromatograph (HPLC)
- Agilent Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatograph (UPLC)
- Thermo-Fischer Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer
- GENESYS UV-Visible Spectrophotometers (8)
- Thermo Scientific Evolution 201 UV-Visible Spectrophotometer
- Gamry Instruments Potentiostat/Galvanostat
The chemistry program at Fitchburg provided me with a solid understanding of the fundamentals, while the close interaction with faculty allowed me to develop comprehension of advanced topics. Having ample access to the laboratory equipment and facilities also played a key role in developing my ability to conduct sound scientific work.
Curriculum and Other Information
The Bachelor of Science degree programs in chemistry are available for students who intend to pursue graduate studies, secondary school teaching, or a professional career in the chemical, pharmaceutical, biotechnology or related industry. The programs provide a strong background in the modern areas of chemistry including biochemistry with emphasis on hands-on laboratory work. They also provide the opportunity for exceptionally talented students to conduct independent research under the guidance of the faculty. The degree programs will also prepare students for further education in health sciences such as medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary medicine, optometry and other health professions provided they take other prerequisite courses.