Create a program of study that will prepare you for a number of different careers in the real world.
Choose to study Architecture, Construction Management, Electronics Engineering Technology, Energy Management Engineering Technology, Manufacturing Engineering Technology, Technology/Engineering Education 5-12 Licensure, and Technology/Engineering Education Industry Training.
If you're a graduate or evening student, we offer a Vocational Technical Teacher Approval Program as well as courses that lead to a bachelor's degree in Occupational/Vocational Education, and a master's in Occupational Education.
Photos from recent events.
Majors and Concentrations
Focus on the hands-on application, implementation, and management of science and technology.
Prepares you for positions in the field of electronics by developing the theoretical and practical skills required for this discipline.
- Production Technology Certificate
- Vocational Technical Teacher Approval Certificate Program Undergraduate (Online)
- Construction Management Minor
- Electronics Engineering Technology Minor
- Industrial Training Minor
- Manufacturing Technology Minor
Plans of Study and University Catalog
- International Technology and Engineering Educators Association (ITEEA)
- Fitchburg State University is a member in good standing of the Association for Advancing Quality in Educator Preparation (AAQEP), a national accrediting organization recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation. Fitchburg State University is working toward accreditation of its educator preparation programs under the AAQEP standards with an anticipated quality assurance review in Fall 2023.
Meet Our Faculty
The mission of the Engineering Technology Department is to prepare professionals to serve in engineering/technical positions in industry and other settings.
The Engineering Technology Department will be recognized for its accomplishments of excellence in teaching and learning, applied research, and service in North Central Massachusetts and the Commonwealth. In order to achieve this, we will:
- Deliver concepts of engineering technology and applied science and technology by providing experiential learning opportunities, contemporary skills, and knowledge needed for a variety of industrial/technical positions.
- Provide technical, team management, leadership, communication, lifelong learning skills with social and ethical responsibility for the sustainable development
- Engage in applied research and developing partnerships with multiple stakeholders as a means of providing solutions to industrial problems and/or effecting enhancements in pedagogy.
- Embrace diversity and inclusion to empower all students, faculty, and staff to succeed in their academic and professional endeavors
Upon graduation from the Engineering Technology Department, our students will be able to:
- Identify, formulate, and solve broadly defined engineering or technical problems by applying knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering, and technical topics to areas relevant to the discipline
- Formulate or design systems or components, processes, procedures or programs to meet desired needs
- Develop and conduct standard tests, measurements, and experiments
- Analyze and interpret data and results using scientific judgment
- Apply written, oral, and graphical communication in broadly-defined technical and non-technical environments and able to identify and use appropriate technical literatures
- Function effectively as a member as well as a leader on technical teams to establish goals, plan, and tasks, meet deadlines, and analyze risk and uncertainty.
- Understand ethical and professional responsibilities and the impact of technical and/or scientific solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts.
The Engineering Technology Department has many specialized teaching laboratories and resource rooms that support its programs including:
- Technical drawing and architectural design and model-making areas
- Construction technology/management lab
- Electronics and energy management technology labs
- Robotics and automated manufacturing lab
- Materials testing facilities
- Wood and metal fabrication facilities
- Technical theatre design and set construction lab
- Technology education teaching modules
- Specialized computer training lab
- Student study room with networked computers
- Lounge and presentation commons
All programs are supported by computer labs with current state-of-the-art software for CAD, BIM (Building Information Modeling) design, simulation, cost estimating, and project management. Software manufactures include Autodesk; Graphisoft ArchiCAD; Maxwell Systems Quest, Sage Timberline Office Solutions and Primavera Project Planner. These computer labs are supported with color printers and plotters, a high-speed large format plotter, and a 3D modeling printers. You are given a lot of hands-on experience that allows them to master the engineering design method of problem solving that can be applied to their future careers in engineering technology.
Internship opportunities are available but not required.