Develop knowledge and skills in data analysis and visualization, database development, machine learning, and data mining.
- Develop knowledge and skills in data analysis and visualization, database development, machine learning, and data mining
- Obtain competitive skills and knowledge to succeed as computer scientists in the constantly developing high-technology marketplace
- Learn to deploy what you learn across a wide variety of disciplines
What we're working on
39% of Data Scientists and Advanced Analyst positions
require a Master's or Ph.D.*
Maximize your options for employment as a data scientist -- learn more about our Master of Science in Computer Science with a Data Science Concentration.
The data science concentration will enhance competitiveness and technical knowledge, and prepare students for professional careers in many aspects of managing, mining, integrating, and analyzing big data across a wide array fields such as business, medicine, bioinformatics, government, education, marketing, security, financial management, and many other fields.
Data science careers span almost every sector of industry, government, and academia, and include careers in manufacturing, construction, transportation, warehousing, communication, science, health care, computer science, information technology, retail, sales, marketing, finance, insurance, education, government, security, law enforcement, and more. In fact, according to the McKinsey Global Institute, the US alone will face a shortage of more than 150,000 data analysts and an additional 1.5 million data-savvy managers.
And, as of June 2015, the annual median salary for a data scientist is $118,709 according to Glassdoor. The average starting salaries for various data analyst positions range from $56,000 to $115,000.
While you can complete the program in as few as 2 years, you have 6 years to complete the program.
Degrees and Other Information
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling admission basis. Admissions requirements are as follows:
- Official transcript of a bachelor’s degree, preferably with (but not limited to) a major or minor in history from a regionally accredited institution
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level course work from a regionally accredited institution (if applicable)
- Graduate application and fee
- No GRE or MAT exams required
- Official scores for English Language Proficiency:
- IELTS Minimum score of 6.5 or
- TOEFL Minimum score of 79
- General evaluation of foreign transcripts - Following are suggested organizations which provide foreign credential evaluation services:
For additional information please see the International Applicants Guide (PDF).
International Applicant Resources
Questions related to visas, I-20, OPT/CPT
Office of International Education: 978.665.3089
Questions related to application/admission
Questions related to program requirements
Graduate & Continuing Education: 978.665.3182
Still have questions? We're here to help!
We know you're busy, so we've given you a few different options to conveniently get the answers you need. You can…