Students in the English Studies Department enjoy a wide variety of exciting paraprofessional opportunities. Students and faculty work together to create a robust paraprofessional community. These opportunities include:
- Writing associates
- Study abroad
- Sigma tau delta
- English club
- Scholarships and awards
- Department publications (The Point, Route 2)
- Independent studies (topics have included novel writing, print journalism, gender studies)
- Conference presentations (Central Massachusetts Undergraduate Shakespeare Conference, TEDx, Worcester Poetry Competition, Fitchburg State Undergraduate Research Conference)
The English Studies department also hosts a high school writing competition open to regional schools.
- High School Writing Competition Prompt 2019-2020: Sometimes you will be going about your daily life completing seemingly ordinary activities, but your thoughts go far beyond the situation itself, as they are intriguing and valuable. In this essay, use the device of internal dialogue (description of what the writer is thinking) within seemingly ordinary events. Do not worry about the form of the inner thoughts; you can present them in any form that makes sense to you as a writer.
- Due Date: January 21, 2020