Black History Month is an annual celebration of achievements by African Americans and the members of the Black Diaspora. Since 1976, every U.S. president has officially designated the month of February as Black History Month.
The theme for 2024 focuses on African Americans and the arts. This theme acknowledges the connection between African American art and influence with African, Caribbean, and the Black American lived reality. This theme focuses and emphasizes the many ways in which art manifests in our current world whether it be in film, architecture, cooking, and so many additional forms of expression (National Association for the Study of African American Life and History).
Find more information about the national Black History Month Theme.
The Black History Month Committee and the Center for Diversity and Inclusiveness are excited to commemorate the theme for this year’s celebration. Please choose to explore the many opportunities throughout the month to get connected. Understanding that February can be a difficult start to the semester, we've created opportunities for education to pair with engagement. We hope to see you at some of our virtual and in-person options.
We are committed to providing a comfortable, inclusive, and respectful environment for all members of our community. If you have any accommodation needs or information you feel would be helpful for us to serve you better, we invite you to share it with us directly.
Consult the calendar of events on this page throughout the month to learn about the individual programs. All are welcome to learn and engage.
Click on individual events below for information on how to participate in these
Events will be recorded with the consent of the presenters. Programs will be rescheduled in the event of university delays or closures, with updated information posted to the event listings below.
See the Month's Events
- Junior Pena, Director for Student Diversity, Equity, Belonging, and Inclusion Initiatives
- Krysta Lopez, Program Coordinator for the Center for Diversity and Inclusiveness
- Lacrinia Dirtion, President for the Black Student Union
- Brianna Nwachukwu, Vice-President for the Black Student Union
- Ketty Guillaumette, Treasurer for the Black Student Union
- Schekina Pericles, Secretary for the Black Student Union
- Mayla DeFreitas, Marketing for the Black Student Union
- Destiny Zayas, Event Coordinator for the Black Student Union
- Nana Kumah, President for the African Student Association
- Selma Martey, Vice President for the African Student Association
- Bethannie Toussaint, Treasurer for the African Student Association
- Marsha Angrand, Event Coordinator for the African Student Association
- Adama Bangura, Event Coordinator for the African Student Association
- Biance Litus, Marketing for the African Student Association
- Ashley Obarisiagbon, Liaison for the African Student Association