A medical emergency can occur anywhere on campus. The reaction of the victim or those around them can ensure quick arrival of trained emergency personnel.
What to do if someone is injured or becomes ill:
- Stay calm.
- Dial 3111 from an on-campus phone (or 978.665.3111 from a cell phone) and explain the type of emergency, the location of the victim, and the condition of the victim.
- Let the dispatcher know of any safety hazards—chemical spill, fire, fumes, etc.
- Be sure to tell the dispatcher if the person is unconscious, not breathing, is bleeding profusely, or has chest pain. These all cause the dispatcher to summon an ambulance.
- Do not hang up unless told to do so by the dispatcher.
- Do not move the victim unless there is danger of further injury if they are not moved.
- Do not give the victim anything to eat or drink.