Housing Policies and Procedures

Living on campus comes with numerous benefits, and it's essential to remember your rights and responsibilities to foster an inclusive living environment for all residents. Throughout your time here, you will be held to the policies and expectations outlined on this page. As well as the University’s response to students found in violation of the policies will be held accountable and sanctions may apply as found on the Student Conduct website. These serve as a roadmap for your success as a valued member of our Fitchburg State University community.

Residents agree to abide by the behaviors and policies outlined here for any space owned/reserved/under the oversight of the department. To communicate please use your official Fitchburg State University Gmail account. Residents will receive emails on housing processes and updates only through their official email.

Questions about these policies should be directed to Housing and Residential Services by calling, 978.665.3219 or emailing housing@fitchburgstate.edu.

Safety and Security

During an emergency, residents may contact University Police at 978.665.3111. Communal spaces within and directly outside of residence halls are monitored remotely by University Police via security cameras.

Access to assigned living space is structured through university issued OneCards and/or keys. The OneCard and/or key are not to be loaned or duplicated. Report all lost keys/ID cards immediately to a department staff member. In addition, submit a work order. You may be issued temporary access. Doors that require a hard key will have the lock changed after three (3) days if you do not return the temporary key. There is a charge for replacing a key and any associated locks.

Lockouts should be coordinated through the following process: 

  1. If applicable, your roommate/suite mate
  2. Russell Towers Front Desk
  3. Resident Assistant on Duty (after 5 p.m./weekends)
  4. Housing and Residential Services main office 978.665.3219 (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.)

Residents who do not have access to a phone should report to the department main office during business hours if they can safely do so. During an emergency, residents may contact University Police at 978.665.3111.

Request for doors to be opened is restricted to the door of the room of the person who is making the request. 

Community Desk Assistants (CDA) are housing paraprofessionals who staff the front desks in buildings. Active front desks may vary year-to-year given occupancy demands. Residents are able to report concerns (facility or others) to the CDA. Each resident is required to show their valid Fitchburg State OneCard when they enter the building to which they reside. Even in buildings with an inactive front desk, residents need to have their OneCard on them when in there.

Residents may not compromise the wellness of the residence halls and inhabitants by propping open exterior doors; lending their keys/ID cards out to anyone; granting access to others outside of the guidelines/expectations (guest, visitor, overnight guest, etc.) or tampering and/or damaging exterior doors, locks or security phones.

Any person(s) who are not assigned occupants of the building must be signed in as a guest. Please refer to the Visitation/Guest section in this handbook for additional information. The host needs to sign-in their guest by providing their valid Fitchburg State OneCard and the guest needs to provide a valid Fitchburg State OneCard or any form of photo identification. Guests without a photo ID will not be permitted entry. Buildings with an inactive front desk still have the expectation that guests/visitors have a form of photo ID on them and all other policies apply.

Bags (of any type) may be checked as students and guests enter the building. The owner of the bag is expected to open the bag for the CDA to look inside.

Residents who violate hosting procedures may face the loss of their hosting privilege. Guests who violate guest procedures may lose the privilege of entering a residence halls which is not assigned to them.

Non-residential minors (under the age of 18 years of age) are not permitted in the residence hall without parental permission without providing written documentation. Documentation must be available/submitted in the following format:

  • Non-overnight: written documentation must be available upon request
  • Overnight: written documentation must accompany the overnight request form/approval.   


  • Guests are individuals who are not residents of the building that they are entering.  
  • All guests must have a resident of the hall as a host, be signed-in if required and must be escorted by the host at all times. Any person without a host will be removed from the building.

Overnight Guests

  • Overnight Guests are individuals who are not residents of the assigned living space (apartment, suite and/or bedroom) that you are entering.    
  • Overnight guests may stay any night of the week for a maximum of two (2) nights within a ten (10) day period, with the consent of the roommate(s). Consideration for room/suitemates and other floor residents dictates that guests do not infringe on the rights of housing occupancy residents with an agreement. Therefore, all guests must be approved by all residents of the room or suite. Guests must abide by all policies of the residence halls and hosts are responsible for the conduct of their guests.
  • Overnight is considered midnight to 7 a.m.
  • Please complete the overnight guest form


  • Visitors are residential students who are assigned to the building in which you live, but are entering a private space that is not communal or assigned to them. 

Family Units

  • In traditional residential buildings (residential hall), a family unit is defined as all residential students assigned to the same restroom on their floor. 
  • In suite style living buildings, a family unit is defined as all residential students assigned to the same suite.
  • In apartment building living arrangements, a family unit is defined as all residential students assigned to the same apartment unit. 

For safety reasons, residents are not permitted on the balconies and roofs of any residence halls.

Because of the potential for personal injury and property damage, magnetic and non-magnetic darts and dartboards are not permitted in the residence halls. 

Weapons such as firearms, knives, bows and arrows, as well as any ammunition, are prohibited in the residence halls. Be aware that according to Massachusetts law it is a violation to possess a weapon on campus, except for University Police Officers. 

  • Residents are permitted to carry pepper-spray, as permitted by the Student Code of Conduct which requires pepper-spray to be registered with the University Police Department. Residents must also register a permit to carry pepper spray with University Police. 
  • Laser pens are permitted as long as they are being used for their designed purpose. Improper use of laser pens will result in disciplinary action.
  • A resident is not permitted no more than one knife by which the blade can not exceed 4 inches in length. Residents assigned to apartments are exempted to this policy and should review the apartment kitchen/cooking section for further details. 

The smoking/burning of any substance and use of electronic smoking devices (including, but not limited to e-cigarettes and vapes) is not permitted inside residence hall rooms or residence hall public areas, including: stairwells, hallways, suite baths, bathrooms, kitchens, lounges, etc.

The possession and/or storage of fireworks, explosives, and gunpowder, ammunition, any flammables or material which may jeopardize the safety of others is strictly prohibited.

The burning of any material in the residence halls is prohibited. Open flames, and items that allow open flames; i.e. candles and incense may not be used in residence halls.

Fire alarm systems and fire safety equipment are provided for the protection of the residents. The fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, fire alarm horns, pull stations, and emergency exit signs are critical safety equipment. In an event of an emergency, please use equipment as intended. Tampering with fire safety equipment can result in criminal prosecution, disciplinary action and/or housing occupancy agreement termination. Where fire sprinklers exist, all sprinkler heads must remain free of obstructions to allow them to operate properly. Nothing may be attached, or placed against any part of the sprinkler system. This includes both the sprinkler head and piping.

Residents are required to participate in fire drills. All occupants must evacuate when conducted.  Failure to participate can result in disciplinary action. Should you need accommodations to ensure you may evacuate please contact Disability Services at disabilityserviceslist@fitchburgstate.edu or 978.665.4020 to make an appointment.

Repeated fire alarm activations (even accidental in nature) which may indicate willingness not to change behavior will be addressed accordingly. This behavior is not conducive to a communal living environment and may lead to the termination of one's occupancy living agreement, and criminal prosecution.

Behavior and Community Expectations

To live on campus and create a positive living environment that supports all residents we ask that residents comply to the Student Code of Conduct and the Housing Policies and Procedures.

Students and guests/visitors are expected to comply with directions given by Housing staff, including Resident Assistants, Professional staff, emergency responders, and other Fitchburg State University officials. Failure to comply with given instructions may result in disciplinary action/referral.

As per the student handbook, alcohol and/or drugs recommended sanctions are recommended by the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education. If at the time of an incident, a student is under 21 and found responsible for being in violation, the Office of Student Conduct will disclose the finding to the parents/guardians. The parent/guardian notification also applies for violations of drug policies, or any federal, state, or local law (affiliated with drugs and/ or alcohol). Such notification is standard practice. Requests that the results not be released should be submitted to the Office of Community Standards and shall be considered at the discretion of the Director of Community Standards.

In compliance with the Drug Free Schools and Communities Act Amendments of 1989 [20 U.S.C. § 1011i; 34 C.F.R. § 86.1 et seq.; 55 Fed. Reg. 33,580 (Aug. 16, 1990)] the Office of Community Standards publishes minimum recommended sanctions to violations of the drug and alcohol policy in the sanctioning guide. The hearing body may at their discretion deviate from the recommended sanctions in considering all of the factors presented.

Alcohol possession and usage

All students are subject to Federal law, Massachusetts law, city ordinances and university regulations. The current Massachusetts drinking age is 21. Residents 21 years of age or older may possess and consume alcoholic beverages within their assigned living space. If someone under 21 is present, no alcohol may be consumed, and alcohol containers may not be left in the suite/area.

The university sets limits to the amount of alcohol that an individual who is 21 years or older may possess in the residence halls at any given time.

Underage residents and their visitors may not possess or consume alcohol. Underage residents and their guests (regardless of age) may not be present in any residence hall living space where alcohol is present.

Residents who are occupants of the space and who are of age to consume alcohol are permitted to do so within reason. To consume alcohol in your assigned space within the residence halls is a privilege, not a right, and may be revoked at any time. At all times the quantity of alcohol is limited to amounts deemed appropriate for personal consumption and shall not exceed the amounts provided below. Residents are expected to establish community guidelines with roommates within assigned spaces about alcohol within the space.

Residents are permitted multiple types of alcohol as long as it does not exceed the occupant count for residents who meet the alcohol consumption of age.

Guests in your space do not increase the amount of alcohol permitted. Guests who are of age (21+) are permitted to consume.

Limits apply to full, partially full or empty containers:

  • Beer/Seltzer/Malt Beverages: One 6 pack (limit 72 oz.)
  • Wine: 750 mL bottles (limit 2 bottles)
  • Liquor: 375 mL of liquor (100 proof or less, One pint of liquor)

The possession or consumption of alcoholic beverages in non-assigned living space (i.e. lounges, hallways, kitchens, game rooms, etc.) is not permitted. This does not include their assigned living space (i.e. apartment/suite/room). Public intoxication is prohibited while on university property or at university sponsored activities or events. The sale, distribution or furnishing of alcoholic beverages to minors is prohibited.

Residents who choose to consume alcoholic beverages are responsible for their actions and should such behavior detract from the living environment, they will be held accountable through the student conduct process. Residents will be held accountable for their guests’ behavior and are responsible for informing guests of all policies.   

Containers of alcohol that exceed the limit are not allowed, in addition to drinking paraphernalia such as but not limited to funnels. Participation in drinking games is prohibited as they promote binge drinking and/or encourage alcohol consumption based on sets of rules, strategies, guidelines, instructions, and etc. Alcohol does not have to be present for an environment to be considered to host a drinking game. 


The use, possession, or distribution of any illegal stimulant, depressant, hallucinogenic, or narcotic drugs. It is prohibited for anyone to use, possess or distribute a prescription medication that is not in their name. 

Massachusetts law, G.L. c. 94G, §2 allows our administration to create rules and prohibit, on our campus, otherwise legal behavior concerning marijuana. The Drug-Free Schools and Campuses Act (DFSCA) requires universities to prohibit marijuana possession, use, or distribution by students, faculty, and staff. For more information, please see our University Police page

Illegal gambling is not permitted at Fitchburg State University. Examples or prohibited conduct include, but are not limited to, the following activities:

  • Betting on or selling “pools” pertaining to athletic or other events
  • Card-playing, either “in person” or in an online environment, for money
  • The use of university property, including phones and internet servers, for illegal gambling activities
  • Involvement in bookmaking activities
  • Online gambling, which the United States Government has deemed to be illegal

Due to the likelihood of property damage and the potential for personal injury the following sports/activities listed but not limited to: ball playing (which includes bouncing, throwing, pitching), squirt guns, water fights, and “horseplay” are not permitted inside the residence hall. Due to damage and safety concerns, rollerblading and skateboarding within the residence hall and porches is strictly prohibited.

Harassment of any type toward another entity is not tolerated. The department reserves the right to prohibit any action/behavior which can reasonably create a space not conducive to a welcoming environment. 

Fitchburg State University provides an educational environment where students, staff and faculty are encouraged to use conflict resolution skills. Residents involved in abuse or harassment, including verbal abuse or threats, of another person will have their housing occupancy agreement reviewed for termination.

Any resident found in the possession of another person's property will have their housing occupancy agreement reviewed for termination and processed through the Office of Community Standards. 

All service and emotional support animals on campus must be documented with Disability Services. (3.07 code Title II). Disability Services can be found in Hammond Hall 303. Disability Services can be reached via email at disabilityserviceslist@fitchburgstate.edu or by phone at 978.665.4020.

For reasons of resident privacy, safety and security, door-to-door solicitation of any type is prohibited. Report any solicitors to the staff or University Police immediately. Residents may not operate business/transactions of sale within the residence halls. 

Examples of prohibited appliances/items that are not permitted include but is not limited to: electric blankets, portable saunas, items with exposed heating elements, space heaters, air conditioners, and halogen lamps. Any item is considered prohibited when asked to be removed by university staff members and item is not removed at once or deadline given. 

Massachusetts State law prohibits the removal of traffic and/or street signs. Therefore, traffic or street signs are not permitted in the residence halls. Housing staff will assume a street sign made of aluminum is real until proof of purchase can be provided.

Due to the disturbance that musical instruments create for other people, the playing of musical instruments without headphones in the residence halls is prohibited unless approved for a specific occasion/situation/event by the department. 

Facility Policies

Residents must support the concepts of the 3Cs to ensure that the on-campus living environment stays healthy and welcoming space for all residents. The residence halls building styles (traditional, suite and apartments) allow for the maturation of residence to take on additional responsibility as they move through their collegiate career. 

A few items to note are as follows:

  • Pest Control/Extermination (i.e. ants, bed bugs)
  • Heating/Cooling 
  • Substance: Mold and Mildew

After verbal communication, residents should always follow-up with a work order for written documentation. 

Residents must submit a work order for all custodial and maintenance needs.

If you see something that needs to be repaired, or if you have a need for service from Capital Planning and Maintenance, please submit a work request.

The work request will then be processed. When the work is completed, you will receive an email with a status notification. If you have any questions regarding work requests, please call Capital Planning and Maintenance at 978.665.3115.

Submitting a work order allows you to track the progress of your request. Whenever there is an emergency need, you should first utilize the numbers below and then enter a work order.

  • Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
    • Housing and Residential Services: 978.665.3219
  • Afterhours, weekends, and holidays
    • University Police Department: 978.665.3111

The university does not carry insurance to cover loss or damage to residents’ personal effects. Individuals desiring such protection must plan arrangements for the necessary coverage at their own expense. The university does not assume responsibility for loss of or damage to personal property.

When a student’s personal items remain after they vacate their assigned space, the items are immediately considered abandoned. Residence life will document items left, take photos and alert residents one time through Fitchburg State official email. After 14 days, all items are considered trash no matter their value. Any attempts after the first official email the department may make to a resident is a courtesy and is not a required component of the department’s process.  

For health and sanitation reasons, only fish (no other animals are approved unless documented with Disability Services) in an aquarium of 20 gallons or less are permitted in the residence halls. If you decide to bring a fish tank, remember that you need to plan arrangements for your fish during break times. All electrical items must be unplugged during the semester break.

Residents are permitted to store bicycles within their room. Any damage to the room caused by storage of a bicycle will be assessed to the resident. They should not be mounted to the wall or ceiling. To ensure safety within the halls and to avoid damage to the carpet or hallway, bicycles are to be walked—not ridden— within the residence halls. Fire regulations prohibit storing bicycles in hallways, stairwells, or public areas; only  in designated areas.

Decorations are encouraged if they do not create health/fire hazards or damage to the room. Residents take responsibility if use of items such as but not limited to, masking tape, double stick tape, or poster putty may cause damage to surfaces.

Examples of prohibited items:

  • Candles are not permitted, even if unburned
  • Alcohol bottles may not be used for decorations or storage 
  • Fabric items (if not labeled as fireproof or proof that item has been fireproofed)
  • Hanging objects from the ceiling, sprinkler heads, pipes, and electrical conduit is strictly prohibited
  • Nails, screws, and tacks on or in the walls, furniture or fixtures are prohibited

Using an Emergency Exit in a non-emergency situation is strictly prohibited. Students are encouraged to utilize the nearest exit to them in the event of an emergency.

Items may not be posted, displayed or attached to the window in a fashion such that they are visible through a window. This policy includes, but is not limited to, signs, cans, bottles and posters. Residents can bring additional furniture, but remember all additional furniture and decorations are subject to the approval of room/suitemates. Residents can still be held responsible if such an item causes any damage to the room/ university property.

Pictures and other material that may be considered objectionable should not be displayed in areas that may be visible outside the student room. Signs are not allowed as window displays. For safety reasons, ledges are not to be used for storage, nor are students allowed to walk or sit on ledges. Students will be held liable for damages to property or personal injury resulting from items being thrown from windows or falling from ledges.

Screens are not to be opened, removed or altered to any degree from residence hall windows.

Proper disposal of trash within the residence halls is necessary and expected. Any and all personal trash should  be taken to a nearby dumpster located outside/nearby all residence halls. Residents should address their assigned living space expectations of their roommates/suitemates/apartments for trash through the Assigned Living Space Agreement form. Any unreasonable amount of trash found by university staff must be addressed immediately or within the timeframe provided. Trash bins are provided in most communal spaces in a residence hall. These trash bins are for small objects that were used in the space. Residents should not be placing their personal trash in communal area trash bins. Continued misuse of common area trash cans may result in common room becoming offline.


Traditional and suite spaces receive regular cleaning of bathrooms (assigned and building common area) and building common area spaces. Personal trash (non-recyclable items) is to be disposed of in the building’s designated external receptacle. Personal room trash should not be disposed of in receptacles designated for bathrooms, sitting rooms, study rooms, and other common area spaces. 

Bathrooms (assigned to you and building common area), kitchens, sitting rooms, study rooms, and all other common area spaces not assigned to you:

  • Trash disposed in these types of spaces must be trash that is aligned with the use of the space. 


Residents living in apartments are responsible for removal of all trash in their spaces. 

All appliances in residents' rooms must be unplugged during the winter recess period and/or when requested by the department. 

Resident Rights and Responsibilities

We believe in the importance of the development of the community in each living unit and each resident’s responsibility for that community, any damages to the public areas for which the responsible individual(s) cannot be determined will be assessed equally amongst all members of that community. The process of community assessment is the final option should all attempts by the community to identify the responsible person(s) be unsuccessful. Residents may not alter, permanently alter, destroy or deface university property in or around the residence hall. 

Community assessment charges are due upon receipt. Community assessments can not be appealed. 

Quiet hours are maintained to help provide an atmosphere that is conducive to good scholarship and to promote an environment where individuals can learn and study. The enforcement of quiet hours is the responsibility of each resident.

Quiet hours are in effect daily from 9 p.m. to 9 a.m. to encourage strong sleeping and studying habits. However, courtesy hours are always in effect. You should expect to be able to study anytime. Please observe requests from your neighbor or roommate if they ask you not to disrupt their study time, regardless of the time of day. 

One purpose of the residence hall is to provide comfortable living accommodations for all students. Any action that interferes with a student’s right to study is a violation of this standard and may be subject to disciplinary action. Sound systems/speakers, video games, televisions, voices, and movement within the residence hall should be kept at a level which confines the noise within that room, and it should not be disruptive to the community. If you wish to turn up the volume, you should use headphones; failure to do so could result in the removal of the item. If you are unsure about what is an acceptable level of noise, please see a department staff member.

During examination periods at the end of each semester, quiet hours are in effect 24 hours a day. If a resident violates this regulation, the individual may be required to vacate the residence hall. 

Room changes may take place as space is available and after occupancy has stabilized, this process if space allows will take place two weeks after the first day of classes.  The resident seeking the room change should submit the respective form through Web4>THDV >Application. Your respective building manager will contact you and will provide you an update on your request. 

Do not move until you are notified that the change is approved. If you move without prior approval from your building manager, you may be assessed a fine, required to return to your original location and/or face disciplinary action.

When living with and sharing a space with others, conflict is nearly inevitable. We encourage all students to try and work things out in an amicable fashion with their roommate(s) before elevating concerns to a higher level. In the event that roommates are unable to resolve a conflict on their own we have a detailed process for students to follow in order to resolve conflicts in a timely and responsible manner. 

  1. Reach out to your RA to discuss concerns/conflict. RA will discuss next steps, including the completion of a roommate living agreement. This is a document that is completed by roommates and is facilitated by an RA or other housing staff member. 
  2. If a living agreement is unable to resolve the conflict, a roommate mediation meeting will be scheduled by an RA or other housing staff member. The goal of a roommate mediation is to reach a point of agreement and understanding that the living agreement document was unable to achieve. Roommates will discuss their concerns and work collaboratively to reach an amicable and fair resolution.
  3. If conflict still remains after the roommate mediation, a meeting with an RD or other housing staff member may be necessary in order to begin the facilitation of a room change. Let it be noted that the student/party who has the concern will be the student that is moved at this point unless otherwise decided by the professional housing staff. 

The condition of each room/suite is checked at the beginning and end of the year. To avoid being charged for damages for which you are not responsible, you should carefully complete the Room Condition Report provided by your Resident Assistant to make certain all existing damages are noted on the sheet. Room condition paperwork must be completed and submitted within five (5) business days of moving into the space. 

Once you have occupied a space beyond five business days any condition that is not "good to excellent" will be your responsibility.  Any damages, which take place in your room/suite/apartment, will be assessed to you and your roommate/your suitemates and/or apartment mates. All persons assigned to the suite/apartment are responsible for the condition of the common rooms. 

Residents who find themselves in a room without a roommate may be required to either move in with another resident who also lacks a roommate, or have another resident move in with them. Relocation may include transitioning to another residence hall. At any time, Housing and Residential Services reserves the right to place someone immediately without notification to the current residents if warranted.            

The process: 

  • Continues through the seventh week of classes each semester when applicable
  • During the regular academic year, apartments will have 72 hours to pull – in/ fill a bed space when permissible
  • The 72 hours includes notification to Housing and Residential Services and residents being pulled in accepting and ensuring all eligibility requirements are met

The department respects the student’s rights for privacy within the group living-learning environment and will strive to protect and guarantee this privacy. This policy is designed to ensure only legal and appropriate entry into a resident’s room by specifically authorized staff, and to define the conditions under which authorized personnel may enter a student’s room.

Rooms may be entered under the following conditions:

  • To provide room maintenance inspections, repair service or perform a safety inspection
  • When there is reasonable cause to believe that University regulations or laws are being violated
  • For an emergency situation that requires that the room be entered
  • When a resident vacates a room for a break period, authorized personnel may enter a room to provide room maintenance inspections, repair service or to perform safety inspections

Illegal items or items in violation of the department and university policies in plain view will be removed if they are noticed in the course of a room maintenance or break inspection, or in response to a violation of university or departmental policy. The resident will receive written notification of this action if confiscation of property is required when the student is absent.

A student’s room will not be entered without knocking. A sufficient time lapse will be allowed to provide the residents ample opportunity to open the door. If no response is received, the room may be entered under the four conditions listed above. Before entering a room with the use of a key, staff members will identify themselves.

Authorized university staff members who may enter a student’s room are administrative representatives of Housing and Residential Services, Environmental Health and Safety and Risk Management, and Capital Planning and Maintenance. 

Massachusetts State Housing Code restricts maximum occupancy within residence hall rooms. The limit is based on the designated capacity of the room. Two (2) guests are permitted per resident.  

  • Single rooms have a maximum capacity of three (3) persons.
  • Double occupancy rooms have a maximum capacity of six (6) persons. 
  • Triple occupancy rooms have a maximum capacity of nine (9) persons. 
  • Suites and Apartments are limited to capacity of two (2) guest per person assigned to the suite or apartment. For examples:
    • Aubuchon suite of eight (8) assigned persons are limited to capacity of twenty-four (24) persons
    • Townhouse Apartment of six (6) assigned person are limited to the capacity of eighteen (18) persons which includes the residence

All posting within the residence hall must be approved by Housing and Residential Services. All postings must follow the following: 

  • Email address (university issued)
  • Approval of the flyer by a designated staff member within the department
  • Contact email address listed on flyer (university issued)
  • A minimum of 45 flyers to cover all designated areas within the residence halls
  • Flyers must be provided a minimum of 3 business hours in advance to be placed in the residence halls

Collections, storming, table displays, etc. are welcomed but must be approved with a minimum of five (5) business days in advance. The department will work with each request individually to ensure the specifications of the project meets the department’s expectations. All requests can be sent to housing@fitchburgstate.edu

Any considerations for your requests to be considered when they do not meet the guidelines above can be submitted to housing@fitchburgstate.edu. Phone calls (978.665.3219) are welcomed after submission of request in writing. 

Limited kitchen/cooking appliances are permitted within the residence halls to support safety and sustainability in the communal spaces. The list below is not exhaustive either for non-permitted or permitted appliances. The department has the right to ask for any appliance to be removed at any time whether listed below or not to support the residential environment.  

Appliances for traditional- and suite-style living

Permitted appliances include:

  • Small electrical appliances with enclosed heating elements and UL approved
  • Coffeemakers
  • Refrigerators
    • Maximum size, internal dimensions of less than 4.0 cubic feet
    • Maximum of 2 running amps
  • Microwaves
    • Maximum wattage, less than 1000 watts

The following items are prohibited in the residence halls:

  • All cooking and food preparation appliances (except as listed below)
  • Air conditioners
  • Candles
  • Incense burners
  • Grills
  • Space heaters and electric blankets
  • Dartboards
  • Pets (except fish in tanks no larger than 10ga. and those permitted under the Americans with Disabilities legislation)
  • Homemade loft or bunk beds
  • Cinder blocks and other bed lofting apparatus 
  • Upholstered Furniture (i.e. furniture covered with fabric and/or padding/stuffing)
  • Hoverboards and Electric Personal Assistive Mobility Devices (EPAMDs)
  • Flags, tapestries, and other fabric decorations that have not been treated for fire resistance.
  • Lava lamps

Appliances for apartments only

In apartments, cooking appliances with open coils are not permitted except for a toaster. Other general cooking appliances are permitted as singular items (i.e. one crockpot for the apartment) if they have an automatic shut off. Appliances must be stored and used in the kitchen of the apartment.

Examples of general cooking appliances permitted:

  • Air fryer
  • Crock pot
  • Instant pot
  • Waffle makers
  • Two knives (maximum) designed for the purpose of cooking by which the individual blade cannot exceed 8 inches in length

Resident Services

During your stay in the residence halls, you will have the support of a Resident Director and Resident Assistants who are paraprofessionals residing in the halls alongside you. These student staff members serve as valuable resources for you throughout your time on campus. They fulfill various roles including fostering a sense of community, providing information and referrals, and enforcing hall policies. If you require any assistance, feel free to approach the building staff directly. You can find their contact information conveniently displayed in the front lobby of each building. Should you have an emergency, never hesitate to call University Police. 

Public area furniture is provided for the use of all residents and may not be taken to student rooms. A charge may be assessed and/or disciplinary action taken if public area furniture is found in student rooms.

Each student room is provided with one desk, chair, dresser and bed per student. All furniture provided by the institution must remain in the student room in which it has been placed. Under no circumstances can the furniture be removed from the premises. Unfortunately, there is insufficient storage space in the buildings to allow us to offer storage of furniture or other items.

Water beds are prohibited in student rooms. Personal mattresses need to be approved by Disability Services and then by Housing and Residential Services to ensure it meets requirements.

Students may request a mailbox from the mailing center. Mail can be sent to:

Student Name
Fitchburg State University
167 Klondike Ave.
Fitchburg, MA 01420

For more information, please see the Student Mail Center


Policies for the residence halls have been developed in an attempt to establish an environment in which a large number of residents may live together with maximum freedom while recognizing the rights of fellow residents. Ideally, all residents accept the responsibility involved in the community living situation and make an effort to be aware of how their actions affect their neighbors. 

When a resident violates this basic standard of community living by endangering the safety of other residents or violating any of the policies outlined by the university, these policies, or the Housing Occupancy Agreement, this behavior must be addressed.

Violations of university policies, including housing policies, are subject to disciplinary action through the student conduct process. The student conduct process is outlined in the Code of Conduct and Disciplinary Process Handbook.  Additional information regarding university policies may be found in the Student Handbook, and the EO/AA Plan. These documents may be found on the Student Conduct website.

Resources are available on campus to assist individuals that may be experiencing problems related to gambling. Counseling Services (978.665.3152) or the Massachusetts Council on Compulsive Gambling (1.800.426.1234) can provide such resources as appropriate.

Fitchburg State University and Housing and Residential Services do not assume responsibility for the loss of or damage to personal items through fire, water, theft, or any other cause. Residents and their families are encouraged to secure property insurance coverage through a homeowner policy or to purchase a separate plan, such as the type that is available from a personal property insurance program.

For more information about personal property insurance, contact an insurance agent or view the nationally available programs. For more information about personal property insurance, contact an insurance agent or the nationally available programs listed below:

The Massachusetts Substance Use Helpline is the only statewide, public resource for finding substance use treatment, recovery, and problem gambling services. Helpline services are free and confidential. Caring, trained specialists will help you understand the treatment system and your options.