Active Faculty and Staff, Professor Emeritus, and Undergraduate and Graduate students who are currently enrolled in at least one credited course are eligible to receive a Fitchburg State University OneCard. These individuals are required to have their photo taken by the OneCard Office in order to receive a OneCard.
In compliance with the U.S.A. Patriot Act, all potential cardholders must present an unexpired government photo ID (driver license, state ID, passport, or other government issued ID) at the time the photo is taken.
Extended Campus OneCards are only offered to Graduate and Continuing Education students who are taking Extended Campus classes and are unable to obtain a photo OneCard due to their course location. For security reasons, this Extended Campus OneCard is only valid for use at the University Library. Faculty, Staff, and Students attending classes on the Fitchburg State University campus are required to have a OneCard with photo. Extended Campus students are encouraged to have a photo OneCard taken whenever possible and may do so by visiting the OneCard Office located in the Anthony Building.
Photo-Image Capture Policy
A Student/Faculty/Staff/Professor Emeriti member applying for a OneCard must have his/her photo-image captured by the OneCard Office.
- The captured photo-image must be a straightforward view.
- All of the customer's facial features (eyes, nose, mouth, cheeks, etc.) must be visible.
- The photo-image must provide a clear view of the face as a whole. A solid or transparent facial cover (scarf, veil, sunglasses, goggles, surgical or dust mask, etc.) is not acceptable.
- The subject's expression should be natural, with both eyes open.
- Prescription glasses may be worn for the photograph; however, there should be no reflections from the eyeglasses that obscure the eyes. Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless they are needed for medical reasons.
- A hat or other head cover is not acceptable, but if worn for medical or religious reasons, it may be allowed if it does not hide any facial features.
- Natural facial hair and hairpieces may be acceptable unless the overall effect disguises the customer's true facial appearance or facial features are obscured.
- Permanent facial tattoos are acceptable but temporary tattoos are not.
- Bluetooth headsets are not acceptable.
Refusal to comply with any or all of these conditions will result in a ID photo not being taken and a OneCard not being issued.
Internal and External Use of Cardholder Photos
Internal Use of Cardholder Images
All cardholder images (electronic, print and database) are the exclusive property of Fitchburg State University and will be treated confidentially. Under the federal law known as FERPA, cardholder images are for internal Fitchburg State University use only. Modification of images is also prohibited. Only the President, Vice President, or the Campus Police Chief can request a student, faculty, or staff photo. Currently two other systems utilize OneCard photos via an electronic feed, the student record, and Student and Academic Life judicial system. The student record system uses the photos for class rosters and the judicial system for identification. The users of these systems shall adhere to the same guidelines outlined in this policy and will keep these records confidential.
Complaints of misuse should be brought to the attention of the OneCard Office. The OneCard Office will refer complaints to the appropriate University body and may be subject to legal action.
External Use of Cardholder Images
Cardholder images (electronic, print and database) shall not be released outside the University. Only the President, Vice President, or the Campus Police Chief can request a student, faculty, or staff photo to be used outside the University.
Violators of this policy will be referred to the appropriate university body and may be subject to legal action.