This course will focus on Artificial Intelligence (AI), ChatGPT and emerging technologies impact on education. We will explore and use a variety of AI-powered technologies to create engaging and interactive learning experiences. Participants will explore a variety of tools to help differentiate instruction, create lessons, and revise existing curriculum. We will take a deeper dive into the role of AI in education from both a teaching and student perspective. Participants will learn how AI can support all students, including English Learners and special education. AI ethics will also be discussed. AI is here. Come join the conversation of using AI intentionally and purposefully.
This course contains content needed to fulfill the DESE Individual Professional Development plan requirement of at least 15 PDPs in a content area of training related to renewal of licensure. Fitchburg State University’s Center for Professional Studies is a DESE-approved PDP provider.
- Understanding of artificial intelligence and its applications.
- Best practices in working with AI chatbots.
- Create/supplement curriculum content with the assistance of AI chatbots and other tools.
- Analyze information provided from AI assistance (reliability/accuracy)
- AI ethics through teacher and student lens.
- AI connection with emerging technologies (VR/AR/edtech tools/new & future application etc.)
- Applications that support all students, including EL, SEI and special education - with AI assistance.
- Identify tools and research benefits and challenges of using artificial intelligence.
- Provide examples of how artificial intelligence is used around the world on a typical day.
Dates: May 23 to June 6, 2023
Mode: Synchronous/online in Google Meet with additional asynchronous assignments specified in syllabus.
Synch session dates:
- May 23, 4 – 6 p.m.
- May 30, 4– 6 p.m.
- June 6, 4 – 6 p.m.
Synch: 6 hours Asynch: 9 hours Total: 15 hours
Cost for 15 PDPs: $247
Cost for 1 graduate credit: $347
Course Number: PRDV 6194P CRN: 64049 (15 PDPs)
Course Number: PRDV 6194 CRN: 64048 (1 Grad Credit)
Mary Marrotta and Craig Scheil
Mary Marrotta is an Educational Technology Consultant and Instructional Technologist. Mary is also a Google Certified Trainer, as well as an adjunct instructor for Fitchburg State University. She has been working for the Nashoba Regional School District for 24 years. Mary has degrees from Fitchburg State in Science, Elementary and Special Education, as well as an M.Ed. from Lesley University in Technology Education and a Certificate in Distance Learning from Northeastern.
Craig Sheil is a Google for Education Certified Trainer, is a Digital Learning Specialist at a public high school in New Hampshire. He has been in the education field for a total of 18 years, with the first 8 years teaching high school mathematics. He has helped integrate Google Workspace for Education and a 1-to-1 Chromebook program at his high school. Craig can be found presenting at conferences, giving professional development to school districts and co-teaching Google Workspace for Education graduate courses. Craig loves teaching and more importantly, loves learning. He has a bachelor’s degree from Keene State in Mathematics and an M.Ed. in Instructional Technology from Fitchburg State University.