The 1098-T is an annual informational form filed with the Internal Revenue Service. The information provided in the 1098-T form will help you, or the person who may claim you as a dependent, determine whether or not you qualify for an American Opportunity Tax Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit on Form 1040 or 1040A for qualified tuition and related expenses paid within the calendar year, January-December. Forms are mailed or available no later than January 31.
Please note, Fitchburg State University is not able to offer any tax advice and will only be able to answer questions related to how the form was prepared. The final decision for determining eligible educational expenses is the taxpayer’s responsibility. The tax payer should refer to relevant IRS forms and publications for explanations relating to the eligibility requirements for, and calculation of, any allowable education tax credit.
- For more information about this tax credit, please visit IRS 1098-T.
FAQs about the 1098-T
The 1098-T form is an annual informational document that all educational institutions are required to prepare for eligible students. It provides the amount paid by the student for qualified tuition and fees within a single calendar year, January – December. The 1098-T form is for informational purposes only. You should retain a copy for your records. You are not required to submit it with your tax return. The information reported to you on the 1098-T form, is also reported to the Internal Revenue Service. Taxpayers should refer to American Opportunity and Lifetime Learning Credits, IRS Publication 970, ask your local IRS office, or contact a local tax advisor to help you understand what this form may mean for you if you receive one. Fitchburg State University is not able to offer tax advice.
You have the option to access your 1098-T form electronically and opt-out of postal delivery of the tax document. Electronic 1098-T forms will be available prior to when the paper 1098-T forms would be mailed; this is a convenient, secure, paperless, and cost-effective way to receive this important and confidential information.
To access the form electronically or provide consent for electronic delivery login to eBill. You will be able to view; print and email the form.
- Go to: web4.fitchburgstate.edu
- Enter secure area: enter student ID# (ex. @ followed by 8 numbers) and pin
- Click: STUDENT tab
- Select: Student Accnts/View eBill/Make payments
- View charges/Pay bill button
For assistance with your PIN please contact the IT Help desk at 978.665.4500.
Once logged into eBill; To provide consent for electronically delivery
- Click on “Consent and Agreements” to the right of the page.
To View 1098T Form
- Click the link for the current 1098T under “Statements”
- Click the “View” box for the year you want to view. You will then be re-directed to ECSI’s site.
- Click the circle next to the year you want to view.
- Click the “View” box above the circles.
- Please note, you do not need a code to view.
Students and Authorized users may also login directly to eBill.
Students use the same login information that they would use to login to web4. Authorized users will use the login information provided.
Students and authorized users may also login directly to eBill.
Use the same login information that you would use to login to web4. Authorized users will use the login information provided.
Login to ECSI directly to access your electronic 1098-T form. ECSI is a partner that Fitchburg State works with to provide the 1098-T forms. Please call ECSI at 866.428.1098 to answer questions about your 1098-T. You may also live chat with ECSI on their website.
Forms will be mailed annually by January 31 to those students that did not opt in for the electronic form. Please allow appropriate mailing time to receive.
- Graduate and Undergraduate Resident and Non-Resident tuition
- University fees
- Room and meal plan fees
- Health insurance fees
- Non-credit course fees
- Box 1. Shows total payments received from any source for qualified tuition and related expenses within a single calendar year, January – December.
- Box 4. Shows any adjustment made for a prior years qualified tuition and related expense, that were reported on a prior year 1098-T.
- Box 5. Shows the total of all scholarships or grants the student received within a single calendar year, January – December.
- Box 6. Shows adjustments to scholarships or grants for a prior year, that were reported on a prior year 1098-T.
- Box 7. Checked if amount in box 1 includes amounts for an academic period beginning January–March of the next calendar year.
- Box 8. Checked if you are considered to be enrolled at least half-time during any academic period during the calendar year, January - December.
- Box 9. Checked if you are a graduate student.
- Student enrolled didn’t earn academic credit.
- Student did not have qualified expenses within the calendar year.
- Payment was received during another tax year.
- Your address in our system is not current and the form was returned by the post office.
Fitchburg State University is not required to supply non-resident alien students with a form 1098-T according to the guidelines established by the Internal Revenue Service. However, one can be generated upon student request and the information will be forwarded to the IRS.
Please note: to have a 1098-T form generated you must have a valid social security or tax identification number (TIN) on file with the university.
Please complete a W-9S and return to the Registrar’s Office by fax to: 978.665.3559 or mail the form to:
Fitchburg State University; Attn: Registrar, 160 Pearl St., Fitchburg, MA 01420.
Do not email the form to us.