The incidence of sexual assault and rape is high in the college population. The National Institute of Justice has found that 1 out of 4 women experience rape or attempted rape during their college years.
If you have been assaulted, find a safe place and call a trusted friend. Notifying the police is also recommended.
Anyone who has been assaulted should obtain medical attention as soon as possible. If you bathe, douche, change clothes, or even brush your teeth, important evidence may be destroyed. This evidence is very important when pressing charges, should you decide to do so.
We encourage all survivors to obtain care from a trained Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE). Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners are specially trained to document the victim’s account of the assault, perform medical exams and testing, collect evidence, and testify in court if necessary. SANE nurses are available at Leominster Hospital, UMass Medical, Memorial Campus, and the Medical School Campus.
Counseling Services is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. by appointment and offers walk-ins from 2pm to 3pm, Monday through Friday. Counseling Services can be reached at 978.665.3152. All information is confidential.
- Important Information on Sexual Assault Awareness
Important Numbers and Other Sources of Support
On Campus Resources
- Counseling Services is open 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. by appointment and offers walk-ins from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m., Monday through Friday. Counseling Services can be reached at 978.665.3152. All information is confidential.
- Fitchburg State University Campus Police can be reached at 978.665.3111 or on campus at extension 3111.
- Fitchburg State Dean of Student and Academic Life: William Cummings, 978.665.3236
- Fitchburg State Vice President for Human Resources and Payroll Services: Jessica Murdoch, 978.665.3172
- Community Health Connections – Fitchburg
329 Nichols Road, Fitchburg, MA 01420
- Community Health Connections – ACTION
130 Water Street, Fitchburg, MA 01410
- Community Health Connections – Gardner
175 Connors Street, Gardner, MA 01440
- Community Health Connections – Leominster
14 Manning Avenue, Leominster, MA 01453
Phone number for all CHC sites is 978.878.8100
- UMass Health Alliance Hospital
60 Hospital Road
Leominster, MA 01453
- UMass Hospital University Campus
55 Lake Ave N
Worcester, MA 01655
- UMass Hospital Memorial Campus
119 Belmont Street
Worcester, MA 01605
Other Important Numbers
- Fitchburg Police: 978.345.4355 or 911
- Pathways for Change (Rape Crisis Center): 1.800.870.5905
- YWCA Domestic Violence Services: 1.508.755.9030
If you were recently sexually assaulted, please contact Fitchburg State Campus Police, Fitchburg Police, Counseling Services or SHS. Also located in various locations around campus are emergency boxes to provide help.