SPRING 2021 UPDATE: The Office of Diversity and Inclusiveness will provide assistance to Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the Spring 2021 semester. To make an appointment with a member of our team please contact us at 978-665-3399, 978-665-3701 or email Jamie Cochran at firstname.lastname@example.org or Faustina Cuevas at email@example.com.
The Center for Diversity and Inclusiveness will cultivate a welcoming and safe space for all members of the Fitchburg State University community and support each person individually by recognizing and respecting all cultures, perspectives and experiences. Through programming and partnerships we will provide opportunities for acceptance, understanding and celebration.
We coordinate and maintain a campus-wide program that reflects the university's mission to support the development of the whole person by engaging students in an inclusive environment through the following:
- Promotion of active involvement
- Education and leadership opportunities
- Ensuring each students goal fulfillment
CDI is my "go to" place, especially after a tough day! It is also the place where I get the necessary encouragement, and guidance.
We provide the tools of understanding, sensitivity, and acceptance to diversity in its many varied forms. It is our mission to the Fitchburg State student, and its community, that they:
- Be exposed to cultural diversity
- Learn to be accepting of people and ideas not their own
- Acquire sensitivity and knowledge of cultural differences
- Develop techniques on how to best deal with diversity issues
- Advance your personal skills and demonstrate competencies' in understanding diversity
The members of the Center for Diversity and Inclusiveness will design, plan, and oversee the delivery of various programs, such as:
- Heritage Month Celebrations
- Multicultural education
- Cultural activities designed to contribute to a positive campus culture of appreciation and respect for differences
The center advises active, diverse student organizations such as:
- Black Student Union
- Latin American Student Organization
- Focus On Faith
- Asian Cultural Society
- World Integrated Nations
- Gay Straight Alliance
...on topics such as:
- Program planning
- Leadership development
- Heritage celebration
...including such multicultural events as:
- Latin American Heritage Month
- Black History Month
- Native American Month
- Asian Pacific Month
- Woman's History Month
- Gay Pride Week
CDI recognizes me as an individual. Jamie has always helped me meet the challenges of my studies, along with mixing in a whole lot of fun into my day. CDI rocks!
We look forward to meeting you, and becoming friends.
The Center for Diversity and Inclusiveness runs several events, including:
- CDI Leadership Retreat
- Telling our Stories: A collaborative project between CDI & the Fitchburg State Community
- CDI got Talent!
- Read to Lead Book Club Series
- Orientation/Reception for freshmen and upperclassmen
- "Chill by the Grill" winter barbecue