We're making sure you get the type of support you need, whatever that is.
Throughout the semester there are several ways in which we can help. Just click one of the following or scroll down to see them all.
Prefer to submit your question in writing? Use our Ask a Tutor feature.
- Need a tutor right now? During our regular hours (M-Th, 10-7:30, F, 10-2:30), check SSC Navigate to see if there's a tutor available immediately! If a tutor is available, you can sign up and get a link to meet with an online tutor right away.
- If you know you'll need an appointment (for an exam, paper, or project), or you just want to be sure a tutor is available, you can make your own appointments.
- If you want to make several regular appointments for a challenging class, you can do it yourself. You can also call 978.665.3499, stop in at the Tutor Center (Hammond 306), or email email@example.com for help making appointments.
We offer in person and online tutoring. You can set up either by making an appointment through SSC Navigate, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or coming by Hammond 306. You can set up a tutoring time for the future, or you can find a tutor who's available now!
- When you sign up for online tutoring through SSC Navigate, you get an automated email with a link to your online tutoring session, enabling you to join immediately.
- We are using Google Docs and Google Jamboard to help tutors and students work together.
- Email email@example.com if you need help making an appointment.
If you have a non-urgent question for a tutor, you can submit it in writing through Ask-a-Tutor. Submit your questions in writing and someone will email you within 24 - 48 weekday hrs. (Tutors don't work on weekends.) You must be logged into your Fitchburg State account.
Academic Coaches offer individualized, workshop-based, or in-class support for key college-level student success skills, such as time management, motivation, and concentration.
- Academic Coaching appointments are available online or in person. Please make an appointment through SSC Navigate. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you need help making an appointment.
- Go directly to SSC Navigate: https://fitchburg.campus.eab.com/
Faculty and Staff can request that an Academic Coach do a workshop in your class, Residential Learning Community, or event.
Peer mentors are fellow students here to provide academic and social support to new students enrolled in First Year Experience seminars.
- Your peer mentor can help you figure out all the resources the university has to offer and can share "tips and tricks" to help you excel in college!
Multilingual Scholars Program
Multilingual Scholars is an academic and social peer mentoring program which connects first-year students whose first language is not English with peer mentors from similar backgrounds. With a strengths-based model grounding this intervention, peers will engage in both structured and drop-in social opportunities to discuss cultural heritage, address reading and other academic strategies, and reflect on the ways in which their unique backgrounds position them for robust opportunities in the future.
Language and Culture Meetups
The Language and Culture Meetup is designed for Multilingual Scholars to discuss academic and social identity concepts in a supportive and brave space. In these structured meetups, Scholars will reflect on and discuss how their cultural experiences influence their student and academic life. In addition, the Mentors will partner with campus partners to develop workshops in which Scholars will identify, enhance, and apply the strengths they’ve acquired as multilingual individuals in their academic and professional pursuits.
To address ongoing needs, Mentors will hold drop-in hours to provide a more individualized approach to discussing concerns of their multilingual peers, providing academic support, reinforcing Fitchburg State’s respect for linguistic diversity, and facilitating appropriate referrals.
We are so proud of all you have achieved! Thank you for all the talent, skill, compassion, and humor you've brought to the ACT Center. We couldn't do it without you, and we'll miss you so much. We're excited to see how you're going to change the world!
Walk-In, Online, and Small Group Services
Connect With Our Staff
Jen Abbott, Academic Support Specialist
Lisa Bauer, Academic Support Specialist
Morgan Hakala, Academic Coach
Andy Linscott, Academic Coach