Getting Started with Blackboard
You can share your Blackboard course site with your students by following the steps below:
- Under Control Panel (left column of course home page) expand Customization.
- Click the Properties option.
- Click the Yes radio option next to Make Course Available.
- Click the Submit button.
Your students should now see your Blackboard course listed in the "My Courses" section when they login to Blackboard.
Managing your Course Sites
If you are teaching multiple sections of the same course you can request to have the student enrollments merged into one site by completing the Merge Multiple Course Sections Request form.
All official courses will automatically be assigned a Blackboard course site. However, if you would like to use Blackboard to support a project, committee work or to develop a course that you can later copy from please complete the Blackboard Course Request form.
Course content can be copied between Blackboard sites. This is helpful when building new course sites each semester. Please note that if you plan on requesting to have your Blackboard course sections merged you should do this prior to copying content into your empty course sites.
Keep in mind that the course copy feature should ideally be used once for each destination course. If used more than once to copy materials into a particular course site, multiple copies of your course contents may be added to the Blackboard site.
How to Copy/Reuse course content:
- Go to the Control Panel in the originating Blackboard course (course site with content).
- Expand Packages and Utilities and click Course Copy.
- For Copy Type choose Copy Course Materials into an Existing Course.
- Click Browse next to "Destination Course ID."
- A Courses window will pop-up. Click the radio option button next to the course you want to copy content into and click the Submit button.
- In the Course Materials section select the content you would like to copy by checking the appropriate boxes*.
- In the File Attachments section select "Copy links and copies of the content."
- IMPORTANT: Under the Enrollments section DON'T check the box next to "Include Enrollments in the Copy."
- Click the Submit button.
- You should see a message that the process has been queued and that an email will be sent when it is complete.
- If you are copying tests, quizzes or surveys you will need to check off the box next to "Tests, Surveys, and Pools." Choosing the content area where the tests are deployed will not copy the tests.
- Assignments (that were created using the "Assignment" tool) need to be copied by choosing the content area they are deployed in and checking the box next to "Grade Center Columns and Settings."
Learn about the library services available at the Fitchburg State Distributed Learning Library Services web page.