At a minimum of 12 weeks prior to the start of the course:
1. Off-campus agencies - Agency/Developer makes initial contact with the Extended Campus office. Extended Campus will contact the requestor, provide access to the required forms, and request payment with receipt of the forms
2. The developer will also submit a copy of the syllabus for the proposed online course. This syllabus will be subject to the standard syllabus review process to include a review by the Associate Dean of the School of Graduate, Online and Continuing Education (SGCOCE) Lisa Moison, approval by the Program Chair, approval by the Department Chair and approval by the Dean.
3. Fitchburg State Faculty begin here - The developer completes and gets departmental and/or program chair signatures before submitting the Distance Learning Course Development Proposal form. The form is then reviewed and approved or denied by either the Dean of the School of Graduate, Online and Continuing Education or the Dean of the appropriate academic department. This form is required at least 12 weeks prior to the start of the semester in which it will be offered. The form can be accessed at: Development Form.
4. The form is forwarded to the Director of Digital Learning. At this time, the developer makes initial contact with the Director of Digital Learning to discuss plans for developing the course.
5. The developer may request a development shell through the Technology online help desk. All Extended Campus requests must be developed in a development shell. The request can be completed online at: Request a Development Shell.
During the Development (12 weeks prior – 4 weeks prior)
6. The developer works with the Director of Digital Learning on the development of their online course.
At a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the start of the semester:
7. The course must be fully developed and ready for review at a minimum of 4 weeks prior to the course start date. At this point in time, the developer must submit, with appropriate chair(s) signatures, paperwork for review of the completed course. The form is submitted to the Director of Digital Learning. The form can be accessed at: Final Approval Form. Fitchburg State faculty, please complete and attach the Feedback Form.
The Director of Digital Learning reviews the course and makes suggestions using this form. The developer will grant access to the appropriate parties for a final review. The course must ultimately be approved by the Department Chair and/or Program Chair and the appropriate Dean.
8. Any required changes and/or edits must be completed one week prior to the course start date. If the course is not approved by at least two weeks prior to start date, it may be canceled.
9. Upon faculty request, the Director of Digital Learning will conduct a post-offering review of a new course being offered for the first time.