Policy and Procedures for Requesting American Sign Language Interpreters and Captioning Services
Fitchburg State University welcomes students, guests and community members who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing or Late Deafened to participate fully in campus classes, programs and activities. Scheduling certified, qualified interpreters and captionists requires planning and preparation. There is a high demand for these services across the state and a limited number of service providers.
Requests must be made at least two weeks in advance for university events and at least six weeks prior to the start of the semester for ongoing classes. Requests made with little advance notice may result in partial or no services being available.
In order to provide quality services in a timely manner, we request the following information:
- Requestor’s name, phone number and email address
- Participant(s)’s name
- Date, time and duration of the class, event or meeting
- Location of the class, event, or meeting
- Brief description of the class, event, or meeting
- Name of professor, speaker, or event organizer
- Preferences/specifics, i.e. ASL interpreter, Captionist, Assistive Listening Device
- On site contact person