Peer Mentor Program Goals
- Heighten students' awareness of and exposure to University life
- Foster positive self-esteem
- Improve students' overall G.P.A.
- Increase class attendance
- Improve the intellectual, cultural, and social well-being of students
TRIO's mentors are students who maintain a 2.5 GPA. Each mentor applies and interviews with our staff before being selected for this position. Each year, mentors begin the start of the academic year, prior to the Pre-semester Orientation Program, with a 2 day training coordinated by the Career & Mentor Program Coordinator.
The training includes topics on leadership, mentoring, diversity, program objectives, and communication. Mentors learn new skills and further develop their current ones. Mentors then participate in the Pre-semester Orientation Program so they can assist new students adjusting to University life.
- Increase mentors' awareness of diversity and student development issues through their increased contacts and interpersonal relationships.
- Provide a climate in which mentors may derive personal satisfaction and pride from their active participation in students' academic and personal success.
- Establish close working relationship with students and TRIO staff.
- In an effort to promote social/cultural experience for all TRIO students, mentors work with TRIO's Academic Advisors to plan activities for the Fall and Spring semesters.