In order to qualify for financial aid consideration, you must meet all the following criteria:
- Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- Be enrolled in, or accepted for enrollment in a degree granting program;
- Be making Satisfactory Academic Progress in your program of study;
- Not be in default on a federal student loan;
- Not owe a refund on any federal financial aid grant to any institution;
- Be registered for selective service, if required to do so;
- Have a high school diploma or G.E.D.
Your eligibility for financial aid is determined by computing the difference between your family's available resources for higher education and the total cost of attendance at Fitchburg State University.
Your family's available resources are determined by an analysis of the information you submitted on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA.
This analysis considers the following:
- The income and assets of you and your family
- The size of your household
- The number of household members attending a college or university on at least a half-time basis.
From this analysis an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is determined. The EFC is subtracted from the total cost of attendance for the academic year. The difference is your eligibility for financial aid.
Cost of Attendance - EFC = Financial Need
Your financial aid award is based on this eligibility, the university's resources and institutional policy. Alternative loans are available to students and parents to help finance all, or part, of your EFC as well as any unmet financial need.
Your cost of attendance or student budget is determined based on your enrollment and place of residence while enrolled here. A budget contains the following expenses:
- Estimated costs for books, supplies, transportation, personal expenses and loan fees
Should a change in any of the listed expenses occur, your budget and eligibility for financial aid will be recalculated. Students with dependent children may qualify for additional financial aid to assist with childcare expenses. Depending upon grade level, students majoring in Nursing, Film or Video may also have budgets increased due to additional costs.
Financial aid recipients should notify the Financial Aid Office of any change in their status such as enrollment or housing. Your financial aid may be adjusted. Additionally if you or a parent has a change in financial situation such as the loss of a job or substantial change in income please contact us.
If you are receiving financial aid, then you are required to maintain satisfactory academic progress towards the completion of your degree.
Please see the university catalog for the satisfactory academic progress requirements.