If you're applying to, accepted to, or enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program then you are eligible to apply for financial aid.
We recommend that you apply for financial aid at the same time you apply for admission. Financial aid is awarded on a first come, first serve basis, so do not wait until you have been admitted to a program to apply!
The only financial aid application that we require is the FAFSA – the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
Our priority deadline for filing is March 1, though we suggest you submit the FAFSA by February 14 to ensure you meet this date.
To apply for financial aid:
- Complete the Free Application For Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The school code for Fitchburg State University is 002184. If additional assistance is needed in completing the FAFSA, please contact us.
- Once you've applied, you will get a copy of your Student Aid Report (SAR) via email provided on the FAFSA or via mail. Please review to ensure the information you submitted is accurate and complete. If you need to make any corrections, you can do so on the FAFSA website.
- If we need any additional information to complete your file, we will notify you by mail or email.
All requested documents must be on file by May 1 in order to be considered on time and receive priority aid consideration.
Applications are accepted and processed after the priority date listed above. Late applications will be reviewed on a funds-available basis.
Please remember that financial aid is not automatically renewed. You must apply each year.
If you are a dependent student then your custodial parent information is required. If you are independent you do not need your parent’s information, only that of your spouse (if applicable.) The following questions will assist you in determining if you will be considered independent for the purposes of filing the FAFSA. You must be able to answer 'Yes' to one of the following:
For the 2023-2024 year:
- Were you born before January 1, 2000?
- Will you be working on a degree beyond a bachelor's degree in the 2023-2024 academic year?
- Are you married?
- At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court (appropriate documentation required)?
- Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
- Are you an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court?
- Do you have children or legal dependent(s)?
- Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
- Have you been determined to be a homeless or an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless. (appropriate documentation required)?
I’ve applied. What’s next?
The federal government along with the Office of Financial Aid will use the provided information to determine your financial aid eligibility. We recommend you keep a close eye on your university email for further notifications.