We're a public institution located in Fitchburg, Massachusetts, dedicated to integrating high-quality professional programs with strong liberal arts and sciences studies.
Founded in 1894, we now have more than 30 undergraduate programs and 22 master's degree programs, and 6,000 full and part-time students.
Get to Know Us
Facts and Figures
Institutional Learning Priorities (ILPs)
What students know, are able to do, and value upon graduation from Fitchburg State University
Through their complete educational experience, Fitchburg State graduates will be creative and critical thinkers who integrate and communicate their learning from a variety of disciplines and experiences in ways that enhance their civic, personal and professional lives.
- Foundational Skills and Disciplinary Breadth - Students will demonstrate attainment of the Learning Outcomes of the General Education program.
- Mastery in a Defined Body of Knowledge - Students will attain the specialized academic objectives of their major or programs.
- Engagement with Campus and Community Life - Students will develop personal and professional skills, goals, and ethical standards of behavior through co-curricular experiences.
- Creative and Critical Thinking - Students will use evidence and context to increase knowledge, reason ethically, assess the quality of information, solve problems, and innovate in imaginative ways.
- Effective Communication - Students will carefully consider and clearly articulate ideas for a range of audiences and purposes in written, spoken, technology-mediated, visual, or other forms of communication.
- Integrative Learning - Students will apply their breadth and depth of knowledge, skills, and experience to address complex issues.
- Respect for People and Cultures - Students will appreciate the contributions and needs of diverse individuals and groups and understand themselves in solidarity with others locally, nationally, and globally.
- Civic Participation in Wider Communities - Students will demonstrate their ability to work within and across communities, to apply their knowledge in the service of others, and to promote social justice.
- Continuous Learning and Personal Growth - Students will approach the world with confidence and curiosity, appreciate the complex identities of themselves and others, and reflect critically on their experiences throughout life to make informed choices that advance their own well-being and that of the larger community.
Policies and Plans
Our Mission, Vision and Values
Fitchburg State University is committed to excellence in teaching and learning and blends liberal arts and sciences and professional programs within a small college environment. Our comprehensive public university prepares students to lead, serve, and succeed by fostering lifelong learning and civic and global responsibility. A Fitchburg State education extends beyond our classrooms to include residential, professional, and co-curricular opportunities. As a community resource, we provide leadership and support for the economic, environmental, social, and cultural needs of North Central Massachusetts and the Commonwealth.
Fitchburg State University will be nationally recognized for its excellence in teaching and learning in current and emergent fields, for its commitment to transforming lives through education, and for its dedication to public service.
In order to achieve this, we will:
- Prepare students for a global society through curricular innovation and program development
- Achieve academic excellence by investing in our faculty and librarians in their pursuit of knowledge, professional competency, and scholarship
- Employ innovative uses of technology in the library and across our campus to maximize student learning
- Create a culture of diversity to meet the needs of the region and enhance the personal and academic lives of the university community
- Build partnerships within our community to provide real-world opportunities for our students and collaborative solutions to community issues.
Offering equitable access to high-quality programs and services to people of varying cultural backgrounds living within and beyond our diverse community of North Central Massachusetts
Providing opportunities for students of varying socioeconomic backgrounds to pursue an affordable, quality education
Forging partnerships with businesses and community organizations within the region to enhance quality of life
Sustaining a supportive campus environment for students, faculty, staff, and alumni in which all members can grow and excel in their personal and professional lives
Striving for excellence in academic programs and services through innovative teaching and professional practices
Our website may contain links to external websites that are not operated or maintained by Fitchburg State University. The university does not control, endorse, or assume any responsibility for the content, privacy policies, or practices of any third-party websites. The inclusion of any link does not imply Fitchburg State University's endorsement of other linked content to the institutional website.