Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)

Alternative Dispute Resolution, also known as mediation, can be used to resolve disputes that does not involve the filing of conduct allegations against a student.

The information below will help with decision making. Please contact the Office of Student Conduct at or 978.665.3887 or 3130 for more information.

Common ADR/Mediation situations for students include:

  • Roommate disputes
  • Co-worker disputes
  • Disputes with neighbors
  • Disputes within an organization
  • Financial disputes, including rent and utilities
  • Interpersonal disputes with faculty/staff members

Benefits of ADR/Mediation:

  • Resolution - Mediation works to provide a outcomes for those involved that you develop.
  • Privacy - Everything said in a mediation session remains private. Notes are destroyed following the session.
  • No charge - The University has trained mediators through the Office of Student Conduct and Case Management and the Office of Student Affairs.
  • Peace of mind - Mediation helps to preserve important relationships and end conflict peacefully. Mediation is a proven method of conflict resolution, whereby both parties work to bring about a mutually agreeable resolution.

Is ADR/mediation right for you?

ADR or mediation is an excellent source to help resolve conflict. To determine if it is the best approach for you, consider the following:

  • Are the issues of individuals involved important enough to you to resolve the conflict?
  • Are you willing to make compromises or changes to resolve the conflict?
  • Are you willing to take the time to work towards a resolution?
  • Do you have time to meet with a third party?
  • Do you have positive solutions if you do not try mediation?

What if one party is not open to ADR/mediation?

Both parties involved in the dispute must be willing to participate in mediation.

What happens to the complaint if no resolution is reached through ADR/mediation?

If the complaint originated in the student conduct process, the complaint may be referred back to the process for resolution through an administrative hearing. This is at the discretion of the hearing officer referring the case for mediation.

What happens if one party fails to follow through with their responsibilities determined in mediation?

The matter will be referred back to Student Conduct and may be taken through the student conduct process.

Once I have decided on ADR/Mediation, where do I start?

If this is part of the student conduct process, your hearing officer may offer you the option of mediation as an alternative to the hearing process. If you agree to mediation as does the other party involved, the matter will be referred to a mediator accordingly. If you are seeking mediation - not as part of the conduct process, Please contact the Office of Student Conduct at or 978.665.3887 or 3130 to discuss available options.

Contact Us