Financial Aid (SAP) Appeals

Financial Aid Appeals

To submit an undergraduate appeal, please complete the online undergraduate application. To submit a graduate appeal, please complete the online graduate application.

Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy for Financial Aid for more information.

Students may appeal to the Director of Community Standards. If circumstances warrant, a student may be granted a one semester probationary period, during which s/he may continue to receive financial assistance. The Director of Community Standards will develop an academic contract detailing the terms of the probationary period. At the conclusion of the probationary term, students must have met the terms of the contract and/or regained satisfactory academic progress in order to receive financial aid in subsequent terms. Students will not be granted more than one probationary period. Once the student has begun the enrollment period for which the probationary period has been granted, the probationary period is official and cannot be canceled or deferred.

The appeal must be generated by the student and must include the following:

  • Basis of the appeal
    • Death of a relative
    • Injury or illness of the student
    • Other exceptional circumstance
  • Why the student failed to make satisfactory academic progress
  • What has changed in the student's situation that will allow the student to demonstrate satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation

Students must submit the appeal prior to any review being conducted by the Director of Community Standards. To submit an appeal, please complete the online application.

Financial aid awards will be based upon the availability of funds at the time of appeal approval. All requests must be processed prior to the end of the term for which the student is appealing.

Students may attempt to make up credits or improve their grade point average through enrollment in winter or summer session classes. Aid will not be offered for these terms.

It is the responsibility of the student to officially notify the Financial Aid Office of any changes to their academic standing. For example, credits transferred in from another institution, the completion of incomplete grades, and the completion of summer session classes need to be brought to our attention. Aid cannot be awarded until this official notification is received.

Students who have been denied financial aid because they were not making satisfactory academic progress may again receive aid the semester after regaining satisfactory academic progress.