Fitchburg State University is working with Sightlines, Inc. to assess and report on our GHG emissions through a project called Go Green. The University completed its first official inventory as part of the ACUPCC requirement during Summer 2008. The inventory includes several prior years for benchmarking purposes. Each year the University updates its inventory to document performance regarding emissions on the Fitchburg State Campus.
This summary shows our progress toward reducing GHG emissions during the past nine years.
GHG emissions are broken into three distinct areas or scopes:
- Scope 1: Direct GHG emissions occurring from sources that are owned or controlled by the institution, including:
- On-campus stationary combustion of fossil fuels
- Mobile combustion of fossil fuels by institution owned/controlled vehicles
- "Fugitive" emissions
- Scope 2: Indirect emissions generated in the production of electricity consumed by the institution.
- Scope 3: All other indirect emissions that are a consequence of the activities of the institution, including:
- Commuting and travel
- Solid waste and water consumption