- Ph.D., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Biology)
- M.S., Bowling Green State University (Biology)
- B.S., St. Thomas Aquinas College (Biology)
My interests focus on two broad topics of fish biology: breeding behavior and adaption to different habitats. I aim to understand how species adapt (behaviorally, morphologically, physiologically, etc.) to different environments. I like to explore these topics in under-utilized species, thus increasing our knowledge of non-model fish species in the process.
- Joseph M Styga and Daniel P Welsh. 2021. Spawning substrate shift associated with the evolution of a female sexual characteristic in a family of fishes Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 133: 155–165
- D. P. Welsh, D. D. Wiegmann, L. M. Angeloni, S. P. Newman, J. G. Miner, J. R. Baylis. 2017. Condition‐dependent reproductive tactics in male smallmouth bass: evidence of an inconsistent birthdate effect on early growth and age at first reproduction. Journal of Zoology 302: 244-251. DOI: 10.1111/jzo.12454
- D. P. Welsh and R. C. Fuller. 2015. Size and shape of anal and dorsal fins in the blackstripe topminnow, Fundulus notatus. Journal of Fish Biology 86: 217–227. DOI: 10.1111/jfb.12564
- Daniel P. Welsh, Muchu Zhou, Steven M. Mussmann, Lauren G. Fields, Claire L. Thomas, Simon P. Pearish, Stephanie L. Kilburn, Jerrod L. Parker, Laura R. Stein, Jennifer A. Bartlett, Christopher R. Bertram, Thomas J. Bland, Kate L. Laskowski, Brett C. Mommer, Xuan Zhuang, and Rebecca C. Fuller. 2013. The effects of age, sex, and habitat on body size and shape of the blackstripe topminnow, Fundulus notatus. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society 108:784-789.
- Welsh, D. P. and R. C. Fuller. 2011. Where to place your eggs: the effects of conspecific eggs and water depth on oviposition decisions in bluefin killifish. Journal of Zoology 284:192-197. DOI: 10.1111/j.1469-7998.2011.00793.x