Information about Commencement

Bachelor, Master and CAGS Graduation Information

If you are seeking a Bachelor's degree, you should apply to graduate in your Junior year. All Master's and CAGS students should apply to graduate before their final semester of coursework.

The University confers degrees and awards diplomas three times per year, in May, August and December. There are only two University Commencement ceremonies that are held in May and December. If you expect to complete your degree requirements during this current year, and have not yet applied to graduate, please click here to complete your Application for Degree online request form. Once your application is received and your file is reviewed, you will be contacted via email by the Registrar letting you know what, if any, requirements are missing. Be sure to check your Fitchburg State student email account often.

Once you've applied to graduate, undergraduate students may petition the Registrar to participate in a graduation ceremony if they have a maximum of two courses (up to 6 credits) or one internship (up to 12 credits) to complete. Please click here to complete your request to participate in graduation online. You will be notified via your student email account of the outcome of your request. Please note that if you are approved to participate in graduation this does not mean your requirements are met and you are graduating. Graduate students are not allowed to participate in a graduation ceremony until all their requirements are complete.

Students who apply to graduate in May, who do not meet all requirements for graduation, will be moved to the December degree conferral date unless you plan to complete in August, in which case your degree conferral date would be changed to August. Students who graduate in August will have the option to attend the December Commencement ceremony. All notifications from the Registrar's Office regarding your graduation status will be sent to your Fitchburg State email account. To view your graduation status, if you have applied to graduate, please use the following link(s):

Graduation Status:


View attendance List:

Eligibility to Participate in Graduation Ceremonies

Any student who has completed all the requirements for degree conferral is eligible to participate in Fitchburg State University's graduation ceremonies.

How do I know if I have met the requirements to graduate?

You should consult with your advisor. If you are an undergraduate, you can find the common graduation requirements in the Curriculum section of the University catalog. Graduate students can find their requirements in the Graduate Division section of the catalog.

Students and their advisor should also be using our automated degree evaluation system to assist.

How do I apply for graduation?

Both undergraduate and graduate students must apply to graduate. You can complete an Application for Degree by clicking here. (PDF)

There is no graduation application fee.

When should I submit an application to graduate?

You are strongly encouraged to submit an application one year (at least one semester) prior to the semester in which you expect to complete the requirements for your degree.

How can I check the status of my application to graduate?

To check on the status of your application after it reaches the Registrar's Office please review the "Graduation List" above. If any of the information listed for you is incorrect, please contact the Registrar's Office (email link below).

What GPA do I need to graduate with honors?

For undergraduates, Summa Cum Laude requires a Fitchburg State cumulative GPA of 3.8 or higher; Magna Cum Laude requires 3.5 to 3.79; and Cum Laude requires 3.2 to 3.49. Students graduating with honors receive bronze medallions which are worn with the cap and gown. If you complete the Honors Program and a senior thesis you will graduate with Special Distinction. To be eligible to graduate with honors, you must earn at least 45 credits with a numerical grade at Fitchburg State University.

There is no graduation honors program for graduate students.

I am a graduate student, can I participate in the graduation ceremony if I am close to finishing my requirements?

Graduate students, earning their Master's Degree or CAGS must complete all of their requirements before they are eligible to participate in a commencement ceremony. Graduate students are "hooded" at the ceremony which signifies the completion of their program. Graduate students are allowed to participate in one graduation ceremony of their choice, after completing their degree requirements.

Do I need tickets for my family?

Tickets are not needed for commencement. Prospective December graduates will be mailed an information packet in November and prospective May graduates will receive the same information packet in April. This packet will include details about the commencement ceremony, including such things as time, where to line up, where to get your cap and gown, seating for family and guests, parking and the inclement weather plan.

I can't come to graduation. How do I receive my diploma?

Diplomas will be mailed to all graduates approximately two weeks after the commencement ceremony.

My diploma has become lost or damaged. How can I request a replacement diploma?

Replacement diplomas can be requested via the Replacement Diploma Request Form (PDF).

Other questions regarding graduation? Email the Registrar's Office at