We know we have many wonderful and successful alumni...help us recognize their accomplishments and talents by nominating a friend, classmate, or colleague. Self-nominations or nominations for the current members of the Alumni Association Board of Directors are not accepted.
The following recognition categories exist for the Alumni Association to honor the impact of alumni and community members on University:
This award recognizes a graduate of Fitchburg State University, who has made a significant contribution in their field, an extraordinary contribution to their community, region, or state or has served as an inspiration to others.
- The nominee must have graduated at least 25 years before the nomination year (award can be given posthumously).
ALUMNI LEADERSHIP AWARD
This award recognizes personal achievement, professional contributions, and leadership qualities in a graduate of Fitchburg State University.
- The nominee must have graduated at least 15 years before the nomination year.
YOUNG ALUMNI RECOGNITION AWARD
This award honors high achievement of young alumni.
- The candidate must nominated within 10 years from graduation.
ALUMNI SERVICE AWARD
Presented to volunteers of the Alumni Association who have given valuable service to the organization and its members and/or their community-at-large. The award recognizes those people who have taken a special interest in the association and have worked hard for its benefit.
This award recognizes an "unsung hero" whose behind-the-scenes work benefits the Association and its members. Alumni or friends of the Association are eligible for this award.
ALUMNI MILLER AWARD
Joel D. Miller served as a state senator and member of the Board of Education , and is considered one of the three founders of the State Normal School in Fitchburg. In 1903, he was honored with the name of one of the university’s first dormitories, Miller Hall. Established in 1955, this cash award is presented to an alumnus who is recognized as an outstanding educator.
- The nominee must be a graduate of Fitchburg State University who graduated at least 10 years prior to the nomination year.
- The nominee must be actively engaged in teaching.
- The nominee must have given unselfish devotion to her/his profession and exerted an influence for good among her/his students.
- The nominee must have demonstrated originality in her/his profession.
- Three letters of support including testimony from current or former students
- A profile, resume or short biography, along with supporting material addressing the specific reasons for the nomination
This award, established in 1989 to honor former university President Vincent J. Mara, recognizes excellence in university teaching. All full-time and tenured Fitchburg State University faculty are eligible to receive the $3,000 award and citation presented annually at spring undergraduate commencement. Learn more about the Vincent J. Mara Excellence in Teaching Award.
The Hall of Fame recognizes the efforts and achievements of the many outstanding alumni who were student-athletes at Fitchburg State University, as well as other individuals who have made outstanding contributions to the Fitchburg State athletic program. Nominations may be submitted online.
- Must have participated on an intercollegiate team for a minimum of two years.
- Must have represented Fitchburg State in a positive manner both as an undergraduate and as an alumnus/a.
- Must have graduated from Fitchburg State at least five years prior to the nomination year.
- Must have exhibited athletic prowess, as determined by playing ability, character, leadership, contribution to the team or teams on which he/she played, and to Fitchburg State University in general.
- Must have demonstrated a special and/or sustained interest in Fitchburg State University and its athletic program. (Current coaches at Fitchburg State University will not be considered for induction if the primary rationale for consideration is their coaching accomplishments.)