The Career Services and Advising Center supports graduate and continuing education students at Fitchburg State University as they navigate their career decision making. Our Academic and Career Advisors are available to work with students on internship and job searches, resume and cover letter development, preparing for interviews, and negotiating salary.
Please keep in mind that our staff are generalists who help students in all majors/programs, and that for questions specific to your field you will want to connect with your academic advisor and graduate program faculty. To get started, we encourage you to utilize the resources below.
Attend Career Fairs, Events, Programs
Graduate, online, and continuing education students/alumni are welcome to attend most events through the Career Services and Advising Center. Some events are offered only as an on-campus/in-person option, but we also have virtual opportunities each semester as well.
The Strong Interest Inventory assessment provides insight into a person’s interests, and areas for exploration to consider potential careers. The assessment is done online and then you will meet with an advisor to go over your results. Reach out to Career Services and Advising to complete the assessment.
Informational interviews serve as a great opportunity for students to learn about specific jobs, careers, or to network with professionals in the field. If you are looking to conduct informational interviews, let us know and we can provide you with tips, advice, and connections to help you get started.
Job and Internship Search
Looking to get started on searching and applying for internships or full-time jobs? Schedule an appointment to meet with an advisor. Our office offers a wide variety of resources and information to support you through the internship/job search process.
Tailoring your resume is always important, but especially if you are looking to advance your career or pivot careers utilizing your graduate degree. See guides below to get started on your resume and cover letter. You can send your documents to firstname.lastname@example.org for a review or set up a one-on-one meeting with an advisor on Navigate.
Handshake - our online recruiting portal. Students can use Handshake to apply for full-time and internship opportunities with companies interested in hiring Fitchburg State students.
Other job boards:
- jobs.fitchburgstate.edu For a listing of part-time student jobs available on campus, scroll down to the Student Employment section.
- North Central MA Chamber of Commerce
- Indeed: A large-scale search engine that allows you to see multiple opportunities on one site. Indeed enables you to search for jobs posted on thousands of websites by aggregating them all on one site. Employers post jobs directly on Indeed.
- Idealist lists jobs, internships and volunteer opportunities in the nonprofit sector. Remember there are many opportunities in a variety of areas within the world of nonprofit. While you might be looking for marketing or legal opportunities, for instance, they might be available within nonprofit companies. No matter your major, consider using Idealist to search for opportunities.
- LinkedIn Jobs: Leverage the world’s largest professional network to connect with opportunities.
- ZipRecruiter: An online employment marketplace that leverages Artificial Intelligence (AI)-powered smart matching technology to actively connect millions of employers and job seekers. Over 700 employers in the US, Canada and U.K. and Israel.
LinkedIn Resource Guide (PDF)
- Mock-Interviews - Looking to practice and evaluate your interview skills? Mock interviews provide a great opportunity to practice your interview skills before the big day. Once you have lined up an interview, contact Career Services and Advising (CSA) email@example.com immediately to schedule a mock interview.
- Interviewing Guide (PDF)
- Salary Negotiations (PDF)