Choose lodging that has reasonable single room rates. Lodging costs incurred for companion travel are not reimbursable and single room rates will apply if double room rates are higher.
Hotel Selection Guides
When applicable, you are encouraged to use properties that:
- Offer a state or federal business rate
- Offer senior citizen rates
- Offer special promotion/conference rates
Hotel Cancellation Policy
You are responsible for canceling hotel room reservations. You should request and record the cancellation number in case of billing disputes.
Hotel Payment Procedures
Hotel costs (overnight room and tax only) should be paid using one of the following methods:
- Purchase order (preferred method)
- Personal credit card (when purchase order is not accepted)
All hotel bills must be original, itemized, and indicate a zero balance. If your hotel bill says there is a balance due, we must have original proof of payment (i.e. original credit card statement, original cancelled check, original credit card charge slip).
Please ensure you obtain this documentation, even when staying in a hotel with quick checkout. Bed and Breakfast receipts must be original itemized invoices on letterhead. They cannot be generic receipts.
Please note that you will not be reimbursed for alcohol, room service, movies, laundry, personal phone calls, or any other items of this nature. If business phone calls, business fax charges, or business internet connection charges are incurred on your hotel bill, you must provide a detailed written explanation.
You can be reimbursed for telephone calls related to conducting University business. You must identify all calls and provide a detailed explanation of all reimbursable calls on your Travel Expense Voucher. Proof of payment and an itemized call invoice must be submitted.
Hotel Telephone Usage
When staying at a hotel, you should avoid making phone calls that have a surcharge.
Meal Expense Guidelines
- Each meal (breakfast, lunch, and dinner) must be tracked separately.
- You will not be reimbursed for a meal if it is included in a registration fee.
- You will be reimbursed for meals while traveling on university business in accordance with your union contract agreement or university policy for non-union employees. You must include departure and return times when requesting reimbursement, per contract agreement.
Documentation for University Business Meal Meetings
You must submit an original detailed meal receipt. Alcoholic beverages are not reimbursable.
In addition, the following documentation is required:
- Names of individuals present, their titles and university/company name
- Name and location of where the meal or event took place
- Exact amount and date of expense
- Business topic discussed
Please note that tips must be reasonable and customary amounts. You will not be reimbursed for more than a 20% tip.
Restaurant tear tabs and credit card receipts are not considered acceptable documentation. You must have a detailed meal receipt.