Financial Aid - Student Employment | Fitchburg State University
Skip to main content

Fitchburg State uses technology to gather information and better understand visitors’ experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to this usage in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Student Employment

On-campus jobs are a convenient way for students to earn money and further engage with the University community. Students may seek both part-time Federal Work Study and part-time Campus Employment positions.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study (FWS) positions are funded by the federal government and by the University. Students are offered FWS as a component of their financial aid award.

University Funded Employment

These positions are funded entirely by the University and are available to all students. Financial aid eligibility is not a factor in employment eligibility.

All student employment opportunities are posted online through the University's jobsite. Students may review postings and apply through this site.

Finding a job

  1. Search the jobsite and apply for position(s)
  2. You will be contacted by the hiring manager for an interview
  3. Once you have been hired, you must complete the required paperwork prior to beginning your employment (see below)

Required Paperwork

You'll find all the required student employment forms on the Human Resources/Payroll Forms page.

Documents for federal work study can be found electronically on the Human Resources/Payroll Work Study page.

University funded student employees will complete items 1-5 with their hiring manager. Documents for university funded student employees can be found electronically on the Human Resources/Payroll website.

Students who have worked on campus within the last year will not have to complete items 2-5. Students are welcome to make any changes or updates to the above forms in the Payroll Office.

All new student employees will be required to provide original personal documentation for I-9 verification (i.e. Birth certificate, social security card, driver's license or passport, etc.). Please note that a copy of your social security card will be required as part of name/number verification for IRS purposes.


Student employees do not receive benefits such a vacation pay, sick pay, holiday pay, etc. Student employees are positive pay employees, as such, students are paid for hours worked only. Students are covered by the University Workers Compensation Plan. If injured, a student should immediately tell their supervisor and report the injury to the Human Resources Office.

Work Hours

A student's work schedule is determined by the supervisor and must follow the normal work week practices. No employee may work longer than six hours without at least a 1/2 hour unpaid break. Students may work up to 20 hours a week during school and 40 hours a week during the summer. Additionally, students may not work more than 8 hours in one day.

Students cannot work during scheduled class times. This includes times when a class may be released early or cancelled. Exceptions may be made ONLY when the student provides documentation from the faculty member or other university official prior to the beginning of their shift that the class was released early or did not meet. This documentation must be maintained by the department supervisor.


Contact the Financial Aid Office at

Off-Campus Employment

The Career Services Center, located on the third floor of the Hammond Building, provides:

  1. Listings of part-time positions from the local community
  2. Job posting bulletin in the G-Lobby of the Hammond Building
  3. Flexible hours to accommodate academic commitments