Commuter Affairs - Frequently Asked Questions | Fitchburg State University
Skip to main content

Fitchburg State uses technology to gather information and better understand visitors’ experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to this usage in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Involved

What is Commuter Conversations?

Commuter Conversations meets twice each month and is the perfect opportunity for commuter students to gather and discuss various aspects of commuter life.

Commuter Conversations provides an opportunity for students to meet other commuters, plan and attend commuter-specific campus events, and (most importantly) share concerns about commuter life.

Commuter Conversations is not a club, nor does it require a large commitment or necessity to join. It is open to any student, including residents, and we encourage new students to stop in each meeting to check it out!

How can I meet other students, faculty, and staff on campus?

Commuter Conversations is a great way to get involved with other commuter students who may share similar concerns about life as a commuter.

If this specific event doesn't interest you, we sponsor multiple other opportunities to get involved and meet other students on campus! Moreover, you should think about joining other organizations on campus or attending on-campus events sponsored by the Student Government Association (SGA), the Fitchburg Activities Board (FAB), or other clubs on campus.

How do I find out about events on campus?

Look for flyers and posters across campus, check-out the latest Commuter Connection newsletter, and remember to check your Fitchburg State student email account for event updates and announcements.

Where do I go to find out more information about student organizations?

View a full list of recognized student clubs and organizations and a full list of club advisor contact information.

What religious services are held during the week?

Religious services are held on Sundays at 11:15 a.m. in the Mazzaferro Center. Remember to check your Fitchburg State student email account for updates about additional holiday services.

Where can I get information about working on campus?

Watch for the job fair held at the beginning of every academic year. At any other time of the year, you can inquire at the Financial Aid Office, as they keep listings of all campus offices hiring student employees. Also be sure to check your student email account for internship and job opportunities.

Commuter Services

Who can I talk to in Commuter Affairs?

Stacey Thomas, Commuter Affairs Manager, can be reached at

Additionally, you can always reach someone by emailing or by contacting the Commuter Affairs Office phone directly at 978.665.3657.

What services are available to commuter students?

Registered commuter students are entitled to all the same services as residential students, with the exception of residence hall access. This includes the services offered by campus offices such as the Recreation Center, Counseling Services, Disability Services, Health Services, Career Services, the Career Services and Advising Center, the Tutor Center, and more. Additionally, commuter students are eligible to use a free locker and a free commuter mailbox on campus.

Are there programs and activities for commuter students?

Yes! Your Commuter Affairs team and Commuter Representatives from both SGA and FAB work to bring a lot of commuter-specific daytime programming to campus. In addition, the Commuter Affairs office and Commuter Conversations is organized specifically to cater to the needs of busy commuter students and plans commuter-specific events and programs. Look for flyers and email announcements about upcoming commuter programs.

Where can I store my belongings on campus?

There are lockers located in the main hallway off of the Hammond G-Lobby. Lockers are free of charge to all commuter students. We supply the lock. Just fill out a locker request form in the Office of Student Development. Remember that lockers are first come, first serve. Plan to sign up early in the semester to reserve your locker.

Where can I relax between classes?

You can grab a bite to eat in the North Street Bistro, hang out in the Commuter Lounge with friends, or study in the Library for an upcoming class. Other students may choose to spend time in the Main Lounge, the Hammond G-Lobby, or on a nice day outside in the Quad on a nice day. For more information, check out Spaces and Places.

Can I hang out in the residence halls?

Commuter students can spend time in the residence halls if a resident student signs them in and takes responsibility for them. If you are not registered as a residential student, your OneCard will not allow you access to the residence halls for security reasons.

Is there a Game Room on campus?

Yes! The Game Room is located off the G-Lobby of the Hammond Campus Center and is open Monday-Thursday from noon to 9:00 p.m., and Friday from noon to 4:00 p.m. The Game Room is free to all registered students with a OneCard and offers air hockey, ping-pong, foosball, darts, board games and video games.

What do I do if I get snowed in on campus or the weather is bad and I can't make it to campus?

Sign up at for alerts to have a cancellation message sent directly to your phone. For policies on missing classes, please check with your professors at the beginning of each semester.

Where is the bookstore and what are their hours?

The bookstore is located on the street level of the Hammond Campus Center. Bookstore hours can be found on the bookstore website.

Academic and Support Services

How can I find help with tutoring or study skills on campus?

The Tutor Center is located on the third floor of the Library and is open Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. All registered students are eligible for free tutoring services, including group tutoring in the math or writing center or one-on-one peer tutoring with a student who has already passed the course that you need help with. Peer tutors are available by appointment seven days a week at mutually agreeable times during the day, evenings or weekends. To sign up for tutoring services, please visit the Tutor Center or request a tutor online.

What is the Career Center?

The Career Center provides a variety of programs and activities to assist students and alumni in planning for career decisions during and after Fitchburg State University. The Career Center provides all aspects of career guidance and counseling and assists students in the school-to-work and undergraduate-to-graduate transitions. Counseling services include assistance with selecting a major, job search strategies, job seeking skills training, preparing for professional interviews, and assistance with changing careers. For more information, please contact the Career Center at 978.665.3151.

Where is the library?

The Amelia V. Gallucci-Cirio Library is located on floors 1-4 of the Hammond Campus Center at Fitchburg State.


Can I eat in the Holmes Dining Commons?

Yes! Chartwells Food Services offers a meal plan designed specifically for commuter students.

If you choose not to purchase a meal plan, you can still purchase individual meals in the Holmes Dining Commons. You can also eat in the Holmes Dining Commons if a residential student with a meal plan chooses to use one of their guest passes for your meal.

Where else can I get food on campus?

The North Street Bistro, located in the lower level of the Hammond Campus Center, offers a wide range of meal, snack and drink options, including:

  • Toasted sandwiches made to order
  • Flatbread pizza
  • Daily specials
  • Au Bon Pain soups
  • Outtakes “grab and go” salads
  • Seattle’s Best Gourmet Coffee

The new and improved Bistro offers new options including Subway, BYOB (Build Your Own Burger) options and more!

The McKay Campus School features the McKay Café, which is another great place for commuters to hang out in between classes! There are a variety of food options provided by Chartwells Food Services in this location as well!


What is the best way for me to get on campus?

Most commuter students choose to drive their own vehicles to campus. City MART buses are also available for the commute to campus. You can also purchase an MBTA transit pass, as there is a stop at the Fitchburg Intermodal Transportation center just off campus. 

How can I get a parking pass?

For $50.00, commuter students can purchase a red parking permit that will allow them to park in lots designated by red signs between the hours of 7 a.m. and midnight. To park free of charge in the Civic Center parking lot, pick up a light green permit, which allows students to park for 24 hours. Remember to hang permits from the rear-view mirror, with the colored side facing out. To obtain a parking pass, visit Housing & Residential Services/Parking Services in the north side entrance of Aubuchon Hall or call them at 978.665.3219.

Can I find parking on the streets?

Commuter students are not advised to seek parking on city streets. View a map of available parking for more information.

Is there a campus shuttle? Where does it go and when?

MART shuttles run in continuous 15-minute loops from the Civic Center through campus. Look for “Shuttle Stop” signs throughout campus:

  • On North Street under Holmes Dining Commons
  • In front of Weston Auditorium
  • By McKay school
  • Outside the Recreation Center
  • In front of each residential hall

The shuttle is free to all Fitchburg State students. Live shuttle tracking can be viewed on Fitchburg State Mobile.


Where can I check my email?

There are computers for student use located in the Amelia V. Gallucci-Cirio Library. There are also computers available to students just inside the entrance of every academic building. Students with laptops can connect to the Fitchburg State wireless network anywhere on campus.

Where are the computer labs?

Fitchburg State University has computer resources that are available to students outside of the classroom. The Hammond and McKay buildings house open computer labs. They offer a convenient place to study and do research. Edgerly and Conlon buildings house specialty labs that focus on the specific needs of several academic programs. These labs are used by students and faculty as an integral part of their coursework.

Is wireless internet accessible on campus?

Fitchburg State's wireless network is available to all users and is accessible from anywhere on campus. To connect, ensure that your wireless radio is on and click "View Wireless Networks" (either from the wireless icon in the system tray or the control panel, under network Connections/Wireless Network Connections). Select the "Student" network. The university does not sanction any other wireless networks, so please avoid using anything else your computer may find.

Is there a way to access the library from home?

Yes! The Amelia V. Gallucci-Cirio Library is accessible online to all Fitchburg State University students. You can access electronic books, journals, articles, and research databases, or request or renew books online.


Where can I exercise?

The Recreation Center, located on North Street, offers Fitchburg State students access to a world-class fitness center with their OneCard. The Recreation Center also offers a wide variety of men’s and women’s sports, intramural sports, and fitness classes.

How can I get involved in intramural sports?

Intramural sports are designed to provide the Fitchburg State community with an opportunity to participate in organized recreational competition. Intramural sports at Fitchburg State offer something for everyone, ranging from one-day events to 6-week leagues, and are open to all current students, faculty and staff of Fitchburg State. To sign up, go to the Recreation Center to find a team or learn how to start your own.


If I have a question but don't know who to ask, is there somewhere I can go to ask?

The Information Desk, located on the Street Level of the Hammond Campus Center, is the place to go for information about programs and events on the Fitchburg State campus. You can also find answers to your questions in the Office of Student Development, located off of the Hammond G-Lobby across from the Commuter Lounge. For questions relevant to commuter life, stop by the Commuter Affairs Office in the ground level of the Hammond Campus Center or feel free to submit to our FAQs page by emailing Commuter Affairs.

Do I really need to carry my OneCard with me?

Yes. Your OneCard not only serves as your Fitchburg State University identification. It is also necessary to access many campus resources. Your OneCard is required to gain access to the Recreation Center and to check out books from the library. You can also use funds on your OneCard to print documents and make copies in the library, purchase snacks from vending machines, make purchases from the bookstore, and pay postage at the mail center. In addition to making on-campus purchases, a variety of local off-campus businesses now accept the Fitchburg State OneCard as a form of payment and some offer OneCard student discounts. View a full list of participating businesses for more information.

I want to participate in community service, where can I find out about volunteering opportunities?

Located on the Ground Level of the Hammond Campus Center, the Center for Volunteerism and Leadership is a perfect place to find out about volunteer opportunities in the Fitchburg community. Updated listings of social service agencies and nonprofit organizations are available at the Volunteer Center. Whether you are looking to volunteer on a regular basis or looking for an opportunity to link your club with a project, the Volunteer center is the place to start. Information on Alternative Spring Break can also be found on the Volunteer Center website.

Where can I find the Registrar's Office?

The Office of the Registrar is responsible for preparing the schedule of classes, student course registration, academic records maintenance, issuing transcripts, monitoring degree requirements for graduate and undergraduate students, and awarding degrees. The office is located in the Anthony Student Service center, a one-stop shop for many important student services on campus! The office is open Monday - Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. The Registrar's Office can be reached at 978.665.4196.

Where can I find the Financial Aid Office?

The Financial Aid Office employs a team of financial aid professionals at Fitchburg State University to help you and your family in any way with your financial aid and financial planning. They are located in the Anthony Building, across from the Treasurer’s Office. The office is open from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Tuesday. The Financial Aid Office can be reached at 978.665.3156 to make an appointment.

I am having trouble with my student bill, where can I go to find help?

The Fitchburg State Student Accounts Office is on campus to assist you with meeting your financial obligations for payment of tuition and fees and can help you with any problems related to your student bill. Student Accounts is located in the Anthony Building. Before visiting, check out their FAQs or email your question to Student Accounts.

How can I become a Commuter Assistant?

Commuter Assistants are hired through the Office of Student Development. Please submit all applications through the Fitchburg State jobs website. Make sure to specify which position you are applying for.