Dependency Status

If you are a dependent student then your custodial parent information is required. If you are independent you do not need your parent’s information, only that of your spouse (if applicable.) The following questions will assist you in determining if you will be considered independent for the purposes of filing the FAFSA. You must be able to answer 'Yes' to one of the following:

For the 2020-2021 year:

  • Were you born before January 1, 1996?
  • Will you be working on a degree beyond a bachelor's degree in the 2020-2021 academic year?
  • Are you married?
  • At any time since you turned age 13, were both your parents deceased, were you in foster care or were you a dependent or ward of the court (appropriate documentation required)?
  • Are you a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces?
  • Are you an emancipated minor or in legal guardianship as determined by a court?
  • Do you have children or legal dependent(s)?
  • Are you currently serving on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces for purposes other than training?
  • Have you been determined to be a homeless or an unaccompanied youth who was homeless or were self-supporting and at risk of being homeless. (appropriate documentation required)?