University Graduate Catalog FAQ's | Fitchburg State University
Skip to main content

Fitchburg State uses technology to gather information and better understand visitors’ experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to this usage in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

University Graduate Catalog FAQ’s

Catalog Terminology

Archived Catalog – A previous catalog that has been saved in the archives of the online catalog and can be viewed for reference. 

Matriculated- A student enrolled in classes during the term of admission to the University by the Admissions Office.

Prerequisite – A course or requirement that needs to be met prior to taking another course.

Student Petition Form – The student petition form is used to request actions which require deviation from standard policies and procedures (for example, late registration, enrollment above semester credit limits, etc.) Form is available at Student Policies and Forms.

Special Studies Form – this form is used to request approval for academic work including Directed Study, Independent Study, Internship, Practicum, Thesis, and Capstone. Form is available at Student Policies and Forms. Definitions of various types of special studies are found in the Academic Policies and Procedures section of the Catalog.

Definitions for other academic terms are found in the Catalog Glossary section, accessible from the left-hand navigation on the Catalog pages.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. How do I use the online catalog?
A. Please visit the Tutorials page on the catalog home page, which has instructions on how to find courses and programs, and how to use the My Portfolio feature.

Q. Which catalog should I be using?
A. For academic program requirements, each student should use the catalog that was current when they matriculated at Fitchburg State University (see Matriculated above). Students who have been readmitted into a program at some point after their original acceptance should refer to the catalog in effect at the time of their readmission. For university policies, all students should refer to the current catalog.  Archived catalogs for earlier years are found in the Archives button on the bottom of the Catalog Home Page.

Q. How do I change my Major or Concentration?
A.  Graduate students use either the Student Petition process to change their major or concentration, or would reapply to a different degree program.

Q. When do I register for classes?
A.  The dates for Registration are listed on the Academic Calendar.

Q. When should I meet with my advisor?
A. Graduate students should contact their advisor prior to the semester in time to select courses and register on time. Regular advising is highly recommended to assure steady progress toward degree completion. Find your Advisor.

Offices Frequented on campus:

Admissions Office

Office of the Registrar

Financial Aid Office

Office of Student and Academic Life

Office of Academic Affairs

Office of Graduate and Continuing Education

Office of International Education