University Undergraduate Catalog FAQs

Catalog Terminology

A complete list of terminology can be found in the Academic Glossary tab on the left hand navigation bar.

Archived Catalog – A previous catalog that has been saved in the archives of the online catalog and can be viewed for reference.

Class Restrictions – A restriction on whether you have to be a freshmen, sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student to take the course. 

Corequisites – A course or requirement that needs to be taken at the same time as another course.

Cross-listed with – Some courses are listed under multiple departments. Example: COMM 2800 is cross listed with ENGL 2800. They are the same class but since the class involves both Communications Media and English Studies, the course is listed under both departments.  Students have a choice when registering as to which subject (COMM or ENGL) they want reflected on their transcript.

Major Restrictions – A restriction on whether you have to be in a specific program to take the course.

Matriculated – A student enrolled in classes during the term of admission to the University by the Admissions Office.

Prerequisite – A course or requirement that needs to be met prior to taking another course.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Which catalog should I be using?
A. For academic program requirements, each student should use the catalog that was current during the first semester they started school at Fitchburg State University.  If your first semester was fall 2012 and you are an undergraduate student, you should be looking at the 2012-2013 Undergraduate Catalog for your degree requirements. For university policies, all students should refer to the current catalog.  Graduate students should refer to the 2012-13 Graduate Catalog. Archived catalogs for earlier years are found in the Archives button on the bottom of the Catalog Home Page.  Please note: Students who are readmitted to the university should use the current catalog not the catalog in effect when they were previously admitted.

Q. How do I change my Major, Concentration or Minor?
A.  If you entered Fitchburg State University as an undeclared major or you decide you would like to change, delete or add a major, concentration or minor, you can fill out the Change of Major/Concentration/Minor Form found online at the Registrar’s Office website.  The changes become official after you obtain the appropriate signatures and have the changes processed through the Registrar’s Office.

Q. What is the difference between a Liberal Arts and Sciences requirement and a Major requirement?
A. Major requirements are courses that need to be taken or requirements that need to be met for the program of study being taken by a department. Liberal Arts and Sciences (LAS) requirements are a set of courses and requirements that all undergraduates need to take to graduate.

Q. Where can I find the LAS requirements?
A. LAS requirements can be found in The Curriculum section of the catalog.  To fulfill requirements for a Bachelor’s degree, students must complete either the requirements of the Liberal Arts and Sciences Program or the Honors Program.  These courses are required in addition to your Major requirements.  Below is a list of attributes for LAS requirements:

Course Attributes

  • AOM: Art or Music
  • ART, ARTS: The Arts Cluster
  • B: Human Behavior
  • C: Multicultural
  • CLIT: Computer Literacy
  • CTW: Citizenship & the World Cluster
  • GDA: Global Diversity - ART
  • GDAN: Global Diversity - ART non-West
  • GDC: Global Diversity - CTW
  • GDCN: Global Diversity - CTW non-West
  • GDS: Global Diversity - SMT
  • GDSN: Global Diversity - SMT non-West
  • HAF: Health/Fitness
  • HIST: Historical Perspective
  • HMN: Human Behavior
  • I: Ideas and Events
  • IDIS: Interdisciplinary
  • INTR: Introductory
  • J/SW: Junior/Senior Writing
  • L: Literature, Language and Arts
  • LAB: Lab Science
  • LIT: Literature
  • SMT: Science, Math and Technology
  • Q: Quantitative/Scientific

Q. How do I know if a course satisfies a LAS requirement?
A. The following are ways to identify a course as one that satisfies a LAS requirement. Please note you should always consult with your faculty academic advisor if you have questions about course requirements.

  1. Navigate to Course Descriptions in the catalog and choose a course you are interested in taking. If the course fulfills a Liberal Arts and Sciences requirement, you will see the attributes listed at the end of the course description.
  2. Via a Catalog Search.  From the catalog search button on the home page, select the option “courses” then type in the LAS requirement attribute you need to satisfy. Example: GDCN, ARTS, LIT, CTW, SMT, etc. Your search will filter the courses that meet the criteria.
  3. Run a Degree Evaluation through Web4 (also known as self-service Banner) where you will see if your LAS course requirements are met.

Q. What is a degree evaluation?
A. A Degree Evaluation is a computer-generated form personalized to your education which lists all of your met and unmet degree requirements.  A Degree Evaluation can be obtained by logging into Web4. You can access Web4 through the Quick links section of the Fitchburg State University Web Page. 

Q. When do I register for classes?
A. The dates for Advising and Registration are listed on the Academic Calendar.  In addition, prior to registration, you will receive an email from the Registrar with detailed instructions to guide you through registration.

Q. When should I meet with my advisor?
A. Undergraduate day students should meet with their advisor at least once at the beginning of the first semester at Fitchburg State University. You should also meet with your advisor during Advising Weeks prior to registration. These dates are found on the Academic Calendar. Graduate & Continuing Education students should contact their advisor prior to the semester in time to select courses and register on time.