100% online dates to be determined. Please email email@example.com for an update.
- 11 hours of asynchronous course work
- Two, 2-hour online, synchronous sessions
This course is intended for anyone who works in a K-12, including teachers, administrators, paraprofessionals, administrative, and support staff.
This course is an introduction into the challenges that Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, Intersex, Asexual (LGBTQIA+) students face in schools on a daily basis. By understanding terminology, historical context, and the preconceived notions we ourselves carry about the LGBTQIA+ community, we can begin to creating intentional, inclusive, and supportive learning environments.
We will explore myths and perceptions, the prevalence and effects of bullying, unintended bias in schools and classrooms, and the laws and policies in place that affect our LGBTQIA+ students. This course will give you the tools to start developing a more inclusive curriculum, navigate conversations around gender and sexual orientation, and foster a respectful and engaging environment where all students can thrive.
Instructor: Dani Langdon
1 Graduate Credit
- Cost: $319
- Course #: PRDV 6090
- Cost: $219
- Course #: PRDV 6090P
As a result of the learning experiences in the course, you will become more cognizant of:
- Definitions and terminology related to gender identity and sexual orientation
- Your schools’ current policies on supporting LGBTQIA+ students
- Current federal and state protection laws and policies that protect and support LGBTQIA+ students
You will become better able to:
- Identify the needs and challenges of LGBTQIA+ students and their families and how these are impacted by school environments, curriculum design, and pedagogy
- Reflect on your own personal and professional experiences with, and assumptions of the LGBTQIA community
You will become more competent in your ability to:
- Understand how the social and emotional well-being of gender and sexuality diverse students relates to their overall academic success and personal growth
- Create inclusive and safe school environments for gender and sexuality diverse students
Chappell, S. V., Richardson, L., & Ketchum, K. E. (2018). Gender diversity
and LGBTQ inclusion in K-12 schools: A guide to supporting
students, changing lives. New York: Routledge.