- Paper registrations received prior to the registration date will be processed in the order they were received starting on the registration opening day.
- Registration for courses comes on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Payment is due upon submission of registration. Payment may be made with a credit/debit card (preferred) or a check.
Convenient Registration Options
Make sure to complete your registration by hitting the final Submit button. You will receive a confirmation email immediately following.
If you do not receive a confirmation email within a few minutes, please contact the ALFA office to confirm that you are registered.
Benefits to Registering Online
- Convenience - Register from anywhere at anytime.
- Instant Confirmation - Know you got into your favorite classes right away.
- Fast - It only takes a couple of minutes to register.
- Security - Your bank account and credit card information will be directly entered into our secure system without having to send it on paper through the mail.
Need help with online registration?
- Check out our complete step-by-step tutorial (PDF).
- Visit your local library for help with the online registration process.
- Visit the ALFA Office on the first day of registration for a one-on-one registration session with a staff member.
- After that, assistance will be available from the ALFA Office staff during normal office hours.
We will continue to accept paper registrations by mail. However, we are strongly encouraging everyone who can to use the online course registration system.
Filling out the Form
- Download the paper registration form or use the one provided in the paper brochure.
- Please complete one registration form for each person taking classes.
- If paying by check and registering two people, please submit a separate check for each registration form!!!
- Registrations must be mailed. No phone-in or hand-delivered registrations will be accepted.
- Any incomplete component may delay the processing of the registration form.
- All registrations are processed in the order in which they are received.
- Please make a copy of the completed registration form for personal records.
* If you send in ONE registration form with TWO people on it we will not be able to process your registration. If you send ONE check for TWO people's registration, we will NOT be able to process your registration
Are you 90 or over? Classes are free for those who are 90 or above. If over 90, please email or call the ALFA office so that we can get you registered free of charge!
We accept credit/debit cards (preferred) and check payments.
- Please note that we do not process as a paper check. We use your account and routing number to debit the charge from your account. It will show up as an ACH debit on your statement. Please see “Payment Instructions” on what we do if the amount on your check does not match the order total (for example: A class is full, etc.).
- If you submit a paper registration and pay with a check, but are waitlisted for a portion of your order, we will process the full payment in the amount entered on the check. We will then issue a refund for the surplus amount.
- Payment is due upon submission of registration.
Course, Trip, and Special Event payments are not refundable or transferable to other classes unless it is canceled.
- Please note that some classes have an additional materials fee (cash only) that is due to the instructor at the first class. These fees are indicated in the course description.
- Registering online is instant, so once you submit your registration and have both a receipt and an email confirmation, you can rest assured that you are officially enrolled in the course.
- Prompt return of forms will facilitate early processing and improve the chances of getting preferred classes. Due to space limitations and instructor requests, class size varies. It is important to list alternatives in the event that first choices are not available. If no alternatives are listed, it will be assumed that none are desired.
- If you register online: You will receive a confirmation email immediately following your completed submission. If you do not receive this, you are NOT registered and it probably means that you didn’t chick the final submission button.
- If you register by paper: you will receive a confirmation by email if you provided an email address, or by mail if you did not.
Some trips include a lunch at the venue. Please be sure to indicate your lunch choice on the registration form if lunch is included.
Food for Thought Presentations
Although Food for Thought presentations are free and open to the public, if you are planning on attending, please be sure to register so that we know how many people will be attending.
Location of Courses
ALFA classes are held both on campus and at various locations in our community. Many classes are in the C-Wing of the McKay Campus School at Fitchburg State University, 67 Rindge Road, Fitchburg, MA.
ALFA Inclement Weather Policy
When Fitchburg State University cancels classes or has a delay, ALFA will not hold classes on that day.
Parking and Transportation
A valid Fitchburg State University parking permit is required to park on campus.
You will receive a Temporary Parking Permit Application with a parking hang-tag, a copy of the Rules & Regulations, and a parking map in the mail. Please bring your completed permit application to your first class, and be sure to hang your tag from your rear-view mirror facing out to avoid being ticketed by University Police.
Please make sure you are parking in the commuter parking lots. These are the lots marked in red on the map. Parking in any other lots, or in places that are not parking spaces will result in a parking citation. If parking in Commuter lots is unavailable, please park your vehicle at the Civic Center and utilize the free shuttle to get to campus.
Do you need a ride to class? All seniors who live in Fitchburg Massachusetts can call the Fitchburg Senior Center at 978.829.1790 to register for MART Transportation Services. Once registered, the Senior Center calls in the information to MART.
Parking on campus can be quite difficult, but there is always ample, free parking at the Civic Center! Fitchburg State provides free campus shuttle transportation, serviced by MART. It is easy to use and gets you from your car to your destination without much walking. Two shuttles run on a continuous loop which usually means there is one every 10 minutes.
- Route: Civic Center along North Street to Main Street, Fitchburg Intermodal Center and return to Civic Center. The shuttle runs continuously during posted hours.