1894: Fitchburg Normal School established by the Massachusetts Legislature to educate and train teachers for the region’s schools opened in an old high school building on Academy Street.
1896: College moved to new building on present site, Thompson Hall, named after the Normal School’s principal, John G. Thompson.
1897: First graduating class receives diploma.
1901: Edgerly Hall (School of Observation and Practice) opens.
1903: First dormitory, Miller Hall, opens.
1909: The Practical Arts teacher training course for men, the first of its kind in the country, is instituted.
1910: Edgerly becomes one of the first junior high schools in the country. Manual arts building dedicated.
1912: Athletic program begins with basketball competition against local high schools and colleges.
1915: First summer extension course offered, representing the beginning of continuing education at the college.
1932: Normal School becomes the State Teachers College at Fitchburg, offering four-year degrees in all education.
1935: College authorized to establish graduate courses.
1943: Nursing program begins with cooperative nursing effort with Burbank Hospital.
1960: Name changed to State College at Fitchburg and began offering more than just education degrees.
1962: Nursing program, in conjunction with Burbank Hospital, established on campus.
1965: Name changed to Fitchburg State College.
1971: McKay Campus School opens, special education program enlisted.
1975: Business Administration program established.
1977: Communications Media program approved.
1978: President Vincent J. Mara establishes the Fitchburg State College Foundation and launches extended fundraising program. First Honors Convocation.
1981: Montachusett Economic Center established to help area businesses.
1988: Sweeping new Liberal Arts & Sciences program approved.
1994: College celebrates its centennial. Successful campaign brings overall endowment to $3.5 million.
1996: MBA and forensic nursing graduate programs established.
2000: Recreation Center opens on North Street, marking the start of a vast investment along College Boulevard.
2010: State university system established in Massachusetts, name changed to Fitchburg State University.
2012: Renovated Hammond Building Campus Center opens, capping off a series of initiatives to strengthen ties with the host city of Fitchburg.
2013: Game Design Program approved, making Fitchburg State the only state university to offer the major. Construction of the state-of-the-art Antonucci Science Complex completed.
2015: Implementation of historical 4+1 Criminal Justice program allows students to receive bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as complete police academy training, all within five years.