Fitchburg State University: A Timeline | Fitchburg State University
Skip to main content

Fitchburg State uses technology to gather information and better understand visitors’ experiences. By continuing to use this website, you consent to this usage in accordance with our Privacy Policy.

Fitchburg State University: A Timeline

1894: Fitchburg Normal School established by the Massachusetts Legislature to educate and train teachers for the region’s schools opened in an old high school building on Academy Street.

1896: College moved to new building on present site, Thompson Hall, named after the Normal School’s principal, John G. Thompson.

1897: First graduating class receives diploma.

1901: Edgerly Hall (School of Observation and Practice) opens.

1903: First dormitory, Miller Hall, opens.

1909: The Practical Arts teacher training course for men, the first of its kind in the country, is instituted.

1910: Edgerly becomes one of the first junior high schools in the country. Manual arts building dedicated.

1912: Athletic program begins with basketball competition against local high schools and colleges.

1915: First summer extension course offered, representing the beginning of continuing education at the college.

1932: Normal School becomes the State Teachers College at Fitchburg, offering four-year degrees in all education.

1935: College authorized to establish graduate courses.

1943: Nursing program begins with cooperative nursing effort with Burbank Hospital.

1960: Name changed to State College at Fitchburg and began offering more than just education degrees.

1962: Nursing program, in conjunction with Burbank Hospital, established on campus.

1965: Name changed to Fitchburg State College.

1971: McKay Campus School opens, special education program enlisted.

1975: Business Administration program established.

1977: Communications Media program approved.

1978: President Vincent J. Mara establishes the Fitchburg State College Foundation and launches extended fundraising program. First Honors Convocation.

1981: Montachusett Economic Center established to help area businesses.

1988: Sweeping new Liberal Arts & Sciences program approved.

1994: College celebrates its centennial. Successful campaign brings overall endowment to $3.5 million.

1996: MBA and forensic nursing graduate programs established.

2000: Recreation Center opens on North Street, marking the start of a vast investment along College Boulevard.

2010: State university system established in Massachusetts, name changed to Fitchburg State University.

2012: Renovated Hammond Building Campus Center opens, capping off a series of initiatives to strengthen ties with the host city of Fitchburg.

2013: Game Design Program approved, making Fitchburg State the only state university to offer the major. Construction of the state-of-the-art Antonucci Science Complex completed.

2015: Implementation of historical 4+1 Criminal Justice program allows students to receive bachelor’s and master’s degrees, as well as complete police academy training, all within five years.