Blackboard Student Help - Technical Requirements
In order to access Blackboard courses, students must obtain or have easy access to a computer with internet access that meets the following hardware/software requirements. It is also recommend that students have a basic familiarity with using computers and browsing the Internet. Specific skills are listed below.
- Familiar with using a web browser and entering URLs (web addresses).
- Able to download files.
- Able to complete online forms.
- Able to search for files on local computer and upload to course site as needed in course.
- Able to install helper applications (browser plug-ins) as needed in course.
Macintosh: OS System 10.3 or better (10.4 minimum recommended)
IBM Compatibles: OS Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2 or (Windows Vista users: Vista Enterprise recommended)
512 MB of RAM
700 MHz Processor
20 GB Hard Drive; as well as a 56K modem (a high-speed internet connection is highly recommended)
- An Internet browser such as Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox or Safari is required. For specific browser version requirements for your computer configuration please visit http://blackboard.fitchburgstate.edu.
- A standard word-processing package such as Microsoft Word, or WordPad is required so you can prepare and submit homework, papers, and exams.
- Active email account
- Since you may be exchanging files with your Instructor or classmates, it is required that you have current antivirus software installed on your computer.
- In addition, students may be required to use course-specific software packages. Check the course descriptions for special software requirements.
Blackboard recommends the following browser/operating system configurations.
Window Client Configurations
|Internet Explorer 8||Internet Explorer 7||Firefox 3.6||Firefox 3.5||Google Chrome|
|Windows XP (32-bit)||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Windows Vista (32-bit)||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Windows Vista (64-bit)||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Windows 7 (32-bit)||Certified||Unsupported||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Windows 7 (64-bit)||Compatible||Unsupported||Compatible||Compatible||Unsupported|
Mac OSX Client Configurations
|Safari 5.0||Safari 4.0||Firefox 3.6||Firefox 3.5||Google Chrome 10|
|Mac OSX 10.5 "Leopard"||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Mac OSX 10.6 "Snow Leopard"||Certified||Compatible||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported|
Students can purchase the required textbook(s) for each online course through the appropriate university bookstore.
Fitchburg State University Bookstore (978) 665-4026