Exercise and Fitness
Exercise is fun, inexpensive and good for you. Benefits of exercise:
- Be healthier.
- Sleep better.
- Have more energy.
- Reduce stress.
- Burn calories.
- Release endorphins that give you a "natural high."
Exercising doesn't have to be a drag. Mix it up and make it enjoyable.
- Go outside.
- Exercise with a group.
- Join intramurals (contact the Rec Center at ext. 3683) for more information.
- Listen to music.
- Try something new (rock climbing, swimming, dancing, etc.).
- Set short-term goals. Successfully reaching your goals is a great confidence booster.
- Remember, every little bit counts. Exercise doesn't have to be strenuous for you to benefit from it.
Walking is a great form of exercise. Walking tips:
- Start low and go slow. If you haven't been very active lately, start with a 15 minute walk each day and slowly increase the time at a comfortable rate.
- Walk with a friend or bring some music to listen to.
- Drink enough water.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes.
- Use sunscreen if you're walking outside.
- Practice good posture. Stand up straight and tighten your stomach to support your back and work your abdominal muscles.
Make working out something you want to do, not something you feel you have to do. If you have fun you're more likely to continue it in your daily routine.