The Expanding Horizons Program (EHP) is a TRiO Student Support Services program designed to promote the academic success of Fitchburg State University students who complete an application and meet the following criteria:
- Qualify as low-income according to Department of Education guidelines OR
- Are a first-generation University student (neither parent has completed a four-year college degree) OR
- Are a student diagnosed with a disability AND
- Demonstrate an academic need for the program such as having a low high school or university GPA or SAT score or by placing into developmental courses. Developmental courses include Basic Reading, Basic Writing, Basic Math I or II. Students with a major which requires a higher minimum GPA such as: Nursing, Education, Communications or Human Services may also qualify.
EHP employs a holistic philosophy when working with students and endeavors to create a smaller learning community within the larger campus environment. The Expanding Horizons staff works with students to facilitate the adjustment to college and to enhance their ability to attain their fullest academic potential and propensity for personal growth.
- Pre-semester orientation for eligible Freshman and Transfer Students.
- Academic counseling including study skills and time management training.
- Assistance from a Professional Writing Tutor.
- Pre-advising for course selection.
- Graduate school counseling.
- Mid-semester progress reports from faculty.
- Financial aid advising and financial literacy education.
- Social and cultural activities and events.
- Peer Mentor Program
Need More Information?
What are other TRiO programs doing? Find out here.
Visit EHP on Facebook!
- Career and Peer Mentor Coordinator
- Academic Advisor
- Program Assistant
Expanding Horizons Program
Fitchburg State University
Hammond Campus Center
160 Pearl Street
Fitchburg, MA 01420
Monday-Friday 8:00 AM-4:30 PM