Online Faculty FAQs
1. What kind of course is eligible to be developed as an online course?
- The course exists in the Fitchburg State catalog as an approved course.
- If it is a new course, it is approved through the established processes for approving any new course.
2. What are the steps needed before beginning development of the course?
- Complete the Distance Learning Course Development Proposal form.
3. What is the remuneration for developing a Distance Education class?
- The Office of Graduate and Continuing Education will make funds available to support the development of distance education courses. Awards of up to $500 will be given through a proposal process. Proposals will be accepted throughout the academic year. The Director of Distance Education, Department Chair, Program Manager and the Dean of Graduate and Continuing Education will work in conjunction in the review of proposals.
4. What is the remuneration for teaching a Distance Education class?
- Teaching salaries will be determined by the Agreement Between The Board of Higher Education and the MTA/MSCA/Division of Graduate and Continuing Education.
5. What kind of support will be available for developing Distance Education courses?
6. What are the steps needed before offering the course?
- The course will be scheduled and advertised in the same way as traditional courses.
- The completed Distance Education course must, at a minimum, be reviewed and approved by the Course Developer, the Program Chair and/or Department Chair and the Dean.
7. Who “owns” the completed course?
- All intellectual property is owned by the developer.
- The course structure/template less your intellectual property, remains the property of the university.