Database Access Help
How to Connect to Library Resources
Fitchburg State University faculty, students and staff will now use their University issued Falcon Key ID to login via our proxy server from off campus.
You will only be prompted to login once for each online session.
- Your username & password are the same as your email credentials. (i.e. "jsmith"), and are also the same as what you use to access Blackboard.
- If you need assistance with your email credentials please call the IT Help Desk at 978-665-4500 or toll free at (866) 520-7131 for assistance.
Students: Use your Falcon Key to login.
- Your username is the same as your email username (i.e. "jsmith").
- For your password, use the last six digits of your Banner Student ID number. This number can be found under the barcode on your One Card, on your class schedule, and on your student bill.
If you are having trouble accessing a database or online journal through our proxy server from off-campus please follow the below instructions.
What is a "proxy server?"
This is a system that the library uses to make sure that only students, faculty, and other campus personnel are able to access restricted copyrighted resources. We have purchased limited licenses to these databases which enable only members of the university to access. The proxy server serves as a gatekeeper to these databases and journals.
All major web browsers should be supported with the exception of the AOL browser, which does NOT work. If you are using this browser, please use either Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, or Chrome. Please note: it is a good idea to use the most recent version of a browser for security reasons.
When logging in from off campus, you should see a screen that looks like this.
If you can access this screen, but keep getting a message saying that your password is incorrect, first verify that you are entering your credentials properly. If you these do not work, please contact the helpdesk to have your password reset.
If you do NOT see this screen, see below for possible answers/solutions to this problem.
- If you are not seeing a login screen at all, or get a "404 error," "This page cannot be displayed," "page not found," "address not found," or a blank page, this is most likely being caused by a firewall. (Note: if you are only getting these errors for only one particular database, but others are working, please contact us directly at email@example.com or at (978)-665-3223, or by the chat window on the upper right of this page with the name of the resource).
- If you are trying to connect to the internet through your workplace, or a school, it could be that the administrators have blocked certain ports for security reasons. Please refer your system administrator to this support page for assistance in remedying this issue.
- If you are accessing this from home and the firewall is something you yourself installed, please make sure that ports 2443 and 8080 are open, as they are necessary for the Proxy server to work.
Our proxy server uses "cookies" when you connect to them to verify that you are an authorized user. Often various ad blocking software can block cookies. You will will need to set this software to not block cookies. If your browser reports an error receiving a "cookie," you must enable cookies in your browser.
Pop-Ups being Blocked
Many browsers or ad-blocking software block pop-ups. Many of our sites require the use of either popups or the ability to load information in a separate tab. If you are finding that links are not working or you get a message that states that a pop-up has been blocked, please add an exception for the given database or site. Typically there is a button on the top of the page near where it tells you that it has been blocked which will enable you to add an exception.
Password not being accepted
Access to databases and most journals is restricted to members of the Fitchburg State University community. If you are not a Fitchburg State student, faculty, or staff member, you will not be able to access these resources. If you have an active account and are still being told that you "not authorized" or "forbidden," please contact the IT helpdesk at 978-665-4500 or through their online Help Desk.
Still not working?
There is always a chance that the problem may be on our end. Of course, at any time you may always Ask a Librarian, and we will attempt to assist you. If you are having trouble accessing a specific journal or database, you can contact via the above link, or by email.
- New students can obtain Falcon Key account information from the IT Help Desk.
- On campus students, visit the IT Help Desk in Conlon Building, Room 229 with your One Card.
- Off campus students, call 978-665-4500 or toll free at (866) 520-7131, or access our Online Help Desk.
- If you have not received a Banner Student ID number, please contact the Registrar's Office at Phone: (978) 665-4196 or (978) 665-3181.
- Extended Campus students who have not received a Banner Student ID number or Falcon Key because their paperwork is in process, please contact the Access Services Librarian at firstname.lastname@example.org or (978) 665-3062 for a temporary guest account you can use.