M.Ed. in Special Education: Guided Studies - Dyslexia Specialist (Online/Hybrid/Non-Licensure)
All of the courses for this program that are offered through Fitchburg State are available online.
For Wilson Language Training information and questions related to Wilson course availability or content, please contact the Wilson Language Training customer service center at 1-800-899-8454 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Special Education Guided Studies, Dyslexia Specialist will meet the needs of individuals who are seeking a master's degree as well as Wilson Language Training Level I and Level II certification. Students complete four required courses, including a capstone course on implementation of best practices, and 27 credits in three goal areas with content meeting the Knowledge and Practice Standards for Teachers of Reading set forth by the International Dyslexia Association (IDA). Three courses are associated with Wilson Reading Level I Certification, three courses are associated with Wilson Reading Level II Certification, and the three courses in the Foundations of Literacy goal area have been selected to meet IDA standards.
Requirements and Curriculum
For Wilson Language Training information and questions related to course availability or content, please contact the Wilson Language Training customer service center at 1-800-899-8454 or email them at email@example.com.
Students who wish to register for graduate credit (for Wilson courses) must have satisfied all course requirements (completed the course) as outlined in the approved course syllabi. Students must register no more than 60 days after the class has ended. Please note that students will only be able to register for classes the 1st to the 15th of each month.
Note: This program is not designed for students seeking a teaching license.
Program at a Glance
Completed applications are reviewed on a rolling admission basis. Admissions requirements are as follows:
- Official transcript of a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Three letters of recommendation
- Professional resume
- Official transcripts of graduate level course work from a regionally accredited institution (if applicable)
- Graduate application and fee
- An essay, no more than one page in length, in response to one of the following questions:
- Tell us about a positive situation in which you helped a person and made a significant difference in that person’s life.
- What are the most important factors in establishing a long-term working relationship with students, friends, etc.?
- Tell us about a significant event that involved you in a teaching or helping mode.
- Describe the situation as it occurred at the time.
- What did you do in that particular situation?
- How did you feel about the situation at the time you were experiencing it?
- How do you feel about the situation now?
- What would you change, if anything?
Online delivery, with limited Saturday sessions for select classes designed to facilitate interaction and collaboration
While you can complete the program in as few as 2 years, you have 6 years to complete the program.
- Title I or reading teacher
- reading specialist
- literacy coach
- private tutor
- special education reading specialist
Still have questions? We're here to help!
We know you're busy, so we've given you a few different options to conveniently get the answers you need. You can…
- Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 978-665-3144
- Make an appointment to speak to an advisor
- Attend an Information Session