The Humanities Department is home to Art, Music, Philosophy, and Languages, fields that have influenced the development of our culture as much as science and technology. In today's ever-changing global job market, students will need to understand complex relationships between the many layers of their responsibilities, not just their particular job-related skills.
True to our mission statement, our faculty prides itself on teaching students how to use the separate disciplines in Humanities to foster the kind of creative and critical thinking skills, as well as inter-cultural awareness, that are vital to being successful in our globalized society.
The department is also the home of the Interdisciplinary Studies major. There are three possible concentrations in this major, two of which are new in Fall 2015. Please see those options on this page in the right side bar under "Program at a Glance".
Two Year Rotation of Courses
Caniato, Michele, Music Technology, Instrumental Ensembles, Music in Film
Derwiche Djazaerly, Yasser, Arabic and French Language and Culture, Italian Language
Diakite, Rala, Italian Language and Culture, French Language, Medieval Studies
Dinda, Robin, Music Theory, Harmony, Ancient Arts
Flint, Petri, Painting, Drawing, Contemporary Art
Harvey, Jonathan, Choral, Chamber, Voice
Jeffko, Walter, Philosophy, Contemporary Ethical Problems
Karbasioun, Keyvan, Spanish Language and Culture, French Language
Moore, Sally, Sculpture, 3D Design, Puppetry
Robey, Jessica, Renaissance through 20th Century Art History
Sewright, Kathleen, Art of Music
Svolba, David, Ethics, Political Philosophy
Wadsworth, Susan, Art History, Asian Culture, Architecture
The Humanities Department has a range of facilities to support the diverse needs of our individual courses.
- Music technology lab with synthesizers and music scoring software
- Steinway grand pianos, Model B Steinway concert piano, Model L Steinway concert piano
- State-of-the-art Wenger practice rooms with Boston upright pianos, Yamaha keyboards and Wenger storage units for student use. Please inquire at the main office for access.
- Art studios for sculpture, drawing, design, ceramics, water and oil-based painting
Program at a Glance
- Interdisciplinary Studies
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Fine and Performing Arts Concentration (PDF)
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Humanities Concentration (PDF)
- Interdisciplinary Studies: Pre-Law (PDF)
- Art History
- Studio Art
- Asian Studies Minor
- French (inactive)
- Italian Studies
- Romance Languages
- CAGS in Interdisciplinary Studies - Individualized Track
- M.Ed. in Arts Education (Non-Licensure)
- Fine Arts Director Graduate Certificate
Musical Performance Organizations
Please visit our Music page for more information.
Community Music Lesson Program
For informational packet, lesson offerings and more, please click here.
Anthony, Room 102
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday
8:00 am – 6:00 pm
8:00 am – 5:00 pm
160 Pearl Street
Fitchburg MA 01420